not producing chlorine

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
stressed but happy

not producing chlorine

Postby stressed but happy » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 21:47

Evreything started when we had the pool partially emptied to remove a rust stain just below the light. It has never worked since then. After filling up the pool with water we started to see the no flow message. A technician came over and replaced the switch, I believe, a screw type on the top of the cell. We were relieved because it started to work without the "no flow" message. Soon we realized that it was not producing any chlorine even without the chlorinator off message. First I thought it was the weather, winter in Norcal, then not running enough hours. I have been putting about 11oz. of chlorinating bleach? (not sure the name, the gallons we buy at Home Depot) since then. I have noticed, lately, the PH has been higher than before. These last month it's been requiring almost he double amount of muriatic acid to bring it down the ph than before. I do a weekly test on Saturdays morning, I check for chlorine & ph. Drop the required acid first thing on morning and put the chlorine in at night, after we leave the pool. Now I'm thinking if a should put some CYA, since we have never put it back after refilling it last year.
My other doubt is if this switch replaced can have a volt or some spicification in it that would be for a cell used in a smaller pool.
The cell is cleanned, filter, everything has been maintained as required and well. What are we missing? What can I do in order to have it start to produce chlorine? Salt is good too! What else is needed to be checked?
I read the other posts but even if we have the same problems I don't have some of the wrong readings, or something else. We have it working at 60%, we tried 70% when it still worked well and it was perfect to bring the chlorine up in about 2 days, but after that the levels were to high, so we decided to keep it at the initial settings of 60% for the pool and 3% for the spa. Would I screw up the chemics if I add CYA? Thank you

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

not producing chlorine

Postby chem geek » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 01:48

Read Water Balance for SWGs. A higher CYA level may let you lower your SWG output and that will help with the pH rise. Note that the FC level will need to be higher with the higher CYA level. Your TA level may also be too high so you can lower it by following the procedure outlined here.
stressed but happy

not producing chlorine

Postby stressed but happy » Fri 11 Sep, 2009 00:03

Yes, my TA is very high. I tested this morning and it was 150ppm. I put in 1 1/2 g. of acid and left it running. I tested again around 5 pm and it was down to 130ppm. Ph was ideal. I guess I'll have to play a lot with the fountains this weekend in order to low TA and raise PH. Just to make sure I understood the balance you suggested, I will pour another 1 1/2 g of acid (muriatic), run the pump, the 2 jets and a sheer descent we have. I understand this constant movement is the aeration and this is what will bring the PH back up. Is that right? After about 3 hrs. I'll test it again. I am afraid of not being able to bring the PH back up again. Thanks for your help
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

not producing chlorine

Postby chem geek » Fri 11 Sep, 2009 00:54

Yes, the aeration of the water will raise the pH with no change in TA while the acid addition will lower both pH and TA. The pH rise is faster if you add enough acid to lower the pH a lot, but don't go below the next-to-lowest reading on your test kit, probably 7.0 since most show down to 6.8. A combination of low pH with lots of aeration will significantly speed up the process.
stressed but happy

not producing chlorine

Postby stressed but happy » Sat 12 Sep, 2009 20:39

Thank you so much, it's done!!!! I tested this morning again, poured another gallon around 8 am, turned on the 2 jets and the sheer. Tested again around noon and it was just perfect. TA was 100 ppm, PH ideal and I saw some chlorine there, almost ideal, more than I had before and I did not put in any in. I left it running until 4 pm. The water looks so clear. It didn't look bad before, but now it's definitely clear than before. Thank you so much.
I

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”