Problem with my intellichlor IC40

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .

Postby Guest » Sat 04 Jul, 2009 20:37

I have an Intellichlor IC 40. I had the pool built late last August and the unit never worked properly. Having never owned a pool before, much less a chlorine generator, I wasn’t sure if something was wrong. So basically when it’s running, the cell light is never lit up. Every other light is on and green. I noticed the salt level is above 3200 ppm after multiple testing and the chlorine levels never change. The salt level light says it’s low. When you swim in it after a week of not shocking it, it feels like you’re swimming in lake water. I’ve unplugged it and plugged it back it to no avail. When I go back to the place that installed the pool, the owner is the absolute only person who knows anything about these types of chorine generators. When I talk to him, he says he’ll be over on a certain date, but never shows. I think I need to fix the problem on my own, but I need help. I’ve taken the cell out and looked inside and I don’t see any scale, but I sprayed the inside with a garden hose, but that didn’t change a thing.

thepoolyoda

Postby thepoolyoda » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 16:49

Ask me all of the ?s you have on the IC40 please i have been dealing with these alot for the last year and a half. the cell light is on when the cell is actively generating chlorine. there is a self cleaning feature built into the cell that runs a total of 14 minutes or every hour of run time. during that time there will not be active generation. also if you have taken the cell out and visually inspected it you often cannot see the calcium build up that is coating various sensors so clean it anyway. 4to1 acid mix. 4parts water 1 part acid.. cap one end and let the acid water sit inside of the cell and sizzle it away.........
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Sat 12 Sep, 2009 02:20

Take the cover off the box that the cell plugs into. Look inside at the PC board, do you see three resistors side by side? or do you see one resistor and two pieces of wire that looks like they take the place of two resistors? If you have only one resistor, you probably need both the cell and power center. Call Pentair and tell them you have a IC40 power center with only one resistor. Hopefully, they can send a factory tech out to look at your unit. And make the repairs.

Note: Don't unplug or plug in the cell to the power center while the power to the unit is on (pump on), this can damage the unit.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
smcrea
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby smcrea » Tue 15 Sep, 2009 21:59

I had major issues with my IC40. It kept on telling me that my salt was low and then would switch itself off. I knew that I had 3400ppm salt in my pool from several independent tests including my own Taylor salt test kit. But the unit was reading 600ppm low.

Eventually the Pentair Tech fitted a new Version 2 unit with fewer lights on it. The unit then read exactly what I thought the level should be and has worked perfectly ever since!!

I would push Pentair to give you one of the Version 2 units. I think that they have a lot of issues with the version 1
Richie 2

Postby Richie 2 » Thu 03 Dec, 2009 16:40

thepoolyoda wrote:Ask me all of the ?s you have on the IC40 please i have been dealing with these alot for the last year and a half. the cell light is on when the cell is actively generating chlorine. there is a self cleaning feature built into the cell that runs a total of 14 minutes or every hour of run time. during that time there will not be active generation. also if you have taken the cell out and visually inspected it you often cannot see the calcium build up that is coating various sensors so clean it anyway. 4to1 acid mix. 4parts water 1 part acid.. cap one end and let the acid water sit inside of the cell and sizzle it away.........

I have trouble with my intellichlor IC40. the low chlorine tells me the generator is not producing any chlorine at all. Sometimes the flow light is not on,I am not sure if it needs to be lighted all the time the pump is running or not.The salt is on yellow, though the salt level in the pool reads between 3700 and 4000. I now saw that the cable plug to the power box has only three needles, one of them looks like it is broken off, or is this the way the plug looks like? should I just calibrate it and see what happens or do I need to call a technician for the electrical stuff to be checked first.
Any advice will be appreciated, thank you.
HoustonTexas

Problem with my intellichlor IC40 red pwr light

Postby HoustonTexas » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 18:43

I have a Intellichlor IC40 and it reads REd PWR light on the status section. Troubleshooting section says it need service. Whatr exactly does that mean. The unit is only 16 months old.
anyone know what service means? :?:
Captain ron

Postby Captain ron » Mon 07 Jun, 2010 07:17

mine is showing the same. any luck resolving?
leonid.l

Problem with my intellichlor IC40 red pwr light

Postby leonid.l » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 00:29

HoustonTexas wrote:I have a Intellichlor IC40 and it reads REd PWR light on the status section. Troubleshooting section says it need service. Whatr exactly does that mean. The unit is only 16 months old.
anyone know what service means? :?:
wilson340

Postby wilson340 » Sun 27 Jun, 2010 19:49

Mine has worked great for the past 2 summers, now RED PWR light is ON also, any suggestions?
Buckalov

Postby Buckalov » Tue 27 Jul, 2010 08:45

I have an IC 40 as well. However, I've had the pool for about a year, and have just recently added salt. I had the salt level checked, and its at 4200. Maybe a little high, but wouldn't cause my problems. The flow light is always red, and the salt level lights keep scrolling up and down. Chlorine output is zero. So, I have a unit that hasn't ever worked, and Pentair wants me to provide all sorts of information to them, which tells me they basically want to cover their butts. I cleaned the unit last week, and noticed a small round magnet encased in plastic, laying on the cells. What is this?
Any answers to this problem? I am at my wits end with the guy who built the pool, John Kennedy Pools in Apple Valley, Ca. He basically forgot who I was after he got the last check....
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 11:23

Buckalov wrote:I have an IC 40 as well. However, I've had the pool for about a year, and have just recently added salt. I had the salt level checked, and its at 4200. Maybe a little high, but wouldn't cause my problems. The flow light is always red, and the salt level lights keep scrolling up and down. Chlorine output is zero. So, I have a unit that hasn't ever worked, and Pentair wants me to provide all sorts of information to them, which tells me they basically want to cover their butts. I cleaned the unit last week, and noticed a small round magnet encased in plastic, laying on the cells. What is this?
Any answers to this problem? I am at my wits end with the guy who built the pool, John Kennedy Pools in Apple Valley, Ca. He basically forgot who I was after he got the last check....
Thanks

you are showing error codes due to the fact that your salinity levels are so high. After a certain level, usually after 4000 ppm, the cell will shutdown and not produce any reading, or chlorine. Your ideal level should be around 3000 ppm. To correct this issue, you will need to drain a portion of your pool, and replace with fresh water. This should correct your issue, and the generator should kick back online producing free chlorine for your pool!
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 17:27

Pentair claims to be still producing chlorine with salt over 4500 (desired range 3000-4500 with ideal at 3400), but cautions about pool corrosion above 4500.

But if the flow is too low some versions seem to never test for salinity level.

Hence flow light is on, and the salt level is flashing like it does on start up.

So, clogged filter, clogged pump impeller, clogged lines, or a bad flow sensor in the unit would be my guesses.
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:34

Buckalov wrote:I have an IC 40 as well. However, I've had the pool for about a year, and have just recently added salt. You mean the pool has had no salt? Or do you mean 1 or 2 bags? I had the salt level checked, and its at 4200. Do you remember how they checked it? Was it with test strips? Maybe a little high, but wouldn't cause my problems. The flow light is always red, Do you have a variable or two speed pump? and the salt level lights keep scrolling up and down. Chlorine output is zero. So, I have a unit that hasn't ever worked, and Pentair wants me to provide all sorts of information to them, which tells me they basically want to cover their butts. Actually, these cells are sensitive to improper water chemistry, so they are making sure that you aren't warranting a cell that failed due to chems, and not manufacturer defect. I cleaned the unit last week, and noticed a small round magnet encased in plastic, laying on the cells. What is this? Do you also have a Nature 2 or other type of supplemental sanitizing system? Sometimes when those cartrages die, and they do, since they are only good for about 6 months, the little beads in them get released into the plumbing.
Thanks

When the unit first comes on, do you have three lights that scroll, or just two. Ver. 1.9 cells (three lights), had problems, and a lot of them failed. Make certain you have plenty of flow thru the cell, to rule out the flow switch.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

Postby Guest » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 18:02

Hello, That small round magnet is from the arm that hangs down in the middle of the cells. mine has two one is ridgid and one is sort of bent and moves (I guess with water flow..) what it does i am cluless but i have seen the magnet, perhaps with water flow the magnet holds the two arms together and completes a circuit.
I have a red light on wich tells me the cell needs serviced also... Has anyone got any answers on just what service means?
John Kennedy Pools & Spas

Postby John Kennedy Pools & Spas » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 09:00

I'm the builder and this client would not listen to me nor the manufacture Pentair how to maintain his salt system. I was on site and reviewed the cleaning issue. Just because I built the pool this client has warrentys through Pentair. This client is a hot head and swears with words that are not fit for any person to hear!

I have a signed sheet stating that he understood the operation of his pool and have been on site more then once to re-review his concerns-but refused to listen to his verbal abuse. I can not hepl that he does not understand the pool chemicials, that why there are pool cleaners for hire if he does not get it!

Please contact me at johnkennedypools.com

swimnsaveusa wrote:
Buckalov wrote:I have an IC 40 as well. However, I've had the pool for about a year, and have just recently added salt. I had the salt level checked, and its at 4200. Maybe a little high, but wouldn't cause my problems. The flow light is always red, and the salt level lights keep scrolling up and down. Chlorine output is zero. So, I have a unit that hasn't ever worked, and Pentair wants me to provide all sorts of information to them, which tells me they basically want to cover their butts. I cleaned the unit last week, and noticed a small round magnet encased in plastic, laying on the cells. What is this?
Any answers to this problem? I am at my wits end with the guy who built the pool, Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

you are showing error codes due to the fact that your salinity levels are so high. After a certain level, usually after 4000 ppm, the cell will shutdown and not produce any reading, or chlorine. Your ideal level should be around 3000 ppm. To correct this issue, you will need to drain a portion of your pool, and replace with fresh water. This should correct your issue, and the generator should kick back online producing free chlorine for your pool!

Thanks

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”