mouse in my pool

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
lynne

mouse in my pool

Postby lynne » Sun 07 May, 2006 04:18

PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE IS ANY EXTRA CARE TO BE TAKEN AFTER SCOOPING A MOUSE OUT OF MY POOL. OR DO WE NEED EXTRA CHEMICALS IN IT OR IF THATS NOT ENOUGH TO GET RID OF GERMS DO WE HAVE TO EMPTY IT, PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME IT MAKES ME FEEL SICK. BY THE WAY IT WAS DEAD AND LAYING AT THE SHALLOW END AT THE BOTTOM.

Pool Helper

Mouse in swimming pool

Postby Pool Helper » Sun 07 May, 2006 15:48

Shock treat the pool. Wait 48 hours before swimming. This is not a big problem. The germs will all be dead within a day but waiting 2 is just a precaution.

There is no need to empty the pool or do anything radical. After all, the water we drink out of the faucet comes from lakes and dams where wildlife breed, drop waste and die every day.
pacobell

Re: mouse in my pool

Postby pacobell » Mon 08 May, 2006 22:13

Try this web site for help next time a mouse or frog gets in the pool
deaun

Re: mouse in my pool

Postby deaun » Wed 02 May, 2007 21:37

lynne wrote:PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE IS ANY EXTRA CARE TO BE TAKEN AFTER SCOOPING A MOUSE OUT OF MY POOL. OR DO WE NEED EXTRA CHEMICALS IN IT OR IF THATS NOT ENOUGH TO GET RID OF GERMS DO WE HAVE TO EMPTY IT, PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME IT MAKES ME FEEL SICK. BY THE WAY IT WAS DEAD AND LAYING AT THE SHALLOW END AT THE BOTTOM.

Lynne,
Pool Helper is right...we experience a wide variety of wildlife in our pool out here in the sticks also, and after a storm last summer (a nest full of fledglings and their mother), I swear by shock. By the way, I have a
4 1/2 lb. bullfrog living in the pool now...

Best luck!
dand
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dand » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 17:13

I find all kinds of little dead critters in the pool every year; mice, snakes, etc. I just keep shock handy and have never gotten sick. When the weather gets a little warmer I tend to get some frogs swimming around which I just catapult out the pool :twisted:

just my 2cents. :P
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 18:20

You can rest assured that if your pool was properly chlorinated, that you now own a nice, well sanitized mouse carcass. :P

Scoop out, dispose, shock and relax!
missing_eric

critters

Postby missing_eric » Fri 08 Jun, 2007 17:44

Backglass wrote:You can rest assured that if your pool was properly chlorinated, that you now own a nice, well sanitized mouse carcass. :P

Scoop out, dispose, shock and relax!

2 chipmunks so far this year!
BrickPool

Postby BrickPool » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 13:57

(1) mouse and (1) rabbit so far. SHOCK IT ! :evil:
Poolside in Ktown

opossum

Postby Poolside in Ktown » Sun 22 Jul, 2012 14:51

How bout an OPOSSUM ! lol yep really happened, baby Opossum was found in my skimmer bucket! YUCK ! Since our last Tropical storm Debby seems like it rained out frogs, everyday I am getting many out of my skimmer...how nasty !
TSH Tech

mouse in my pool

Postby TSH Tech » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 00:39

The grossest of the gross are moles that have been in the pool for a few days. I cannot describe their awful, AWFUL odor. 5 and 7 at a time discovered in the leaf catcher of a Hayward Navigator pool cleaner... absolute gross-out :sick: :sick: :sick: ... and I've seen some pretty gross messes in my time.

:) Silently, I laugh. I keep all laughter to myself, though. As long as I've been in this business, housewives freak out when there's a dead rodent in the pool. But this one I cannot for the life of me, figure out; seems perfectly ok to allow a baby in the pool with a diaper.
If I had to choose a torture test, I'd rather swim in a pool with a dead mouse than a baby that has taken a dunk into a pool with a diaper on.

I'll throw my .2 cents in agreeing with everyone else, shock the pool. The Centers for Disease Control recommends pool superchlorination(shock) for fecal matter and a period of no swim due to the serious nature of bacterial infections and possible fatal infections for those with low immune systems.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”