Pool deck repair or complete redo?

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
rwixom

Postby rwixom » Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:58

I have an 18X35 vinyl inground with a pretty large surrounding deck. The deck is old and the cool (Kool?) deck is delaminating and cracking in places and there is one section where the underlying concrete should probably be repaired (extensive spider cracking). I've been getting quotes from local pool companies. One company said they could remove/repair the damaged cool-deck replace it and put a colored top coating that would make the entire deck match and look new. I would also have him extend the cool-deck onto our back patio so that the texture and color match for the entire back yard. The next guy said that the cool-deck shouldn't be repaired and the entire deck should be removed and re-poured with stamped concrete. The first option will cost me a $2500, while the second will cost $10-15K.

So, does anyone have experience with repairing, patching, and putting down cool-deck on existing concrete? Is this a bad idea? Sure, stamped concrete is gorgeous and certainly a solid fix, but I'd rather not invest $15k since I'm going to also replace the liner and heater this year.

Are there other options I should be considering?

While your at it, does anyone have a strong opinion about brands of vinyl-liners?

Thanks,

Ryan

ariciaga

Postby ariciaga » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 15:35

Hi you dont have to remove your existing deck just remove the cool deck the most possible and replace it and make sure they repair all the crack if you live in dallas I coud help you
rwixom wrote:I have an 18X35 vinyl inground with a pretty large surrounding deck. The deck is old and the cool (Kool?) deck is delaminating and cracking in places and there is one section where the underlying concrete should probably be repaired (extensive spider cracking). I've been getting quotes from local pool companies. One company said they could remove/repair the damaged cool-deck replace it and put a colored top coating that would make the entire deck match and look new. I would also have him extend the cool-deck onto our back patio so that the texture and color match for the entire back yard. The next guy said that the cool-deck shouldn't be repaired and the entire deck should be removed and re-poured with stamped concrete. The first option will cost me a $2500, while the second will cost $10-15K.

So, does anyone have experience with repairing, patching, and putting down cool-deck on existing concrete? Is this a bad idea? Sure, stamped concrete is gorgeous and certainly a solid fix, but I'd rather not invest $15k since I'm going to also replace the liner and heater this year.

Are there other options I should be considering?

While your at it, does anyone have a strong opinion about brands of vinyl-liners?

Thanks,

Ryan

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”