Pump has low suction

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
pro
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground 16 years old 33X18, Hayward pump, sand filter. Vinyl liner.

Pump has low suction

Postby pro » Fri 16 Apr, 2010 22:15

I just opened my pool 3 days ago, I vacummed with no problem, backwashed and rinsed. I even backwashed again after another vacuuming. It seems that the vacuumin gworks but I noticed the suction is poor. Last year I had such good suction that I would have a difficult time getting the skimmer basket out . Floating debris doesn't always (when passing right by the skimmer opening) go in the opening. What could be causing this? Does my pump need to be disassembled and cleaned? The return to the pool is acting fine.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Pump has low suction

Postby Denali » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 04:32

pro wrote:I just opened my pool 3 days ago, I vacummed with no problem, backwashed and rinsed. I even backwashed again after another vacuuming. It seems that the vacuumin gworks but I noticed the suction is poor. Last year I had such good suction that I would have a difficult time getting the skimmer basket out . Floating debris doesn't always (when passing right by the skimmer opening) go in the opening. What could be causing this? Does my pump need to be disassembled and cleaned? The return to the pool is acting fine.

Hi,

Do you have a pressure gauge on the filter? If yes, is it up or down from normal? If it's down look in the pump basket for debris. If it's up then it may be that the filter is still dirty.
pro
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground 16 years old 33X18, Hayward pump, sand filter. Vinyl liner.

Pump has low suction

Postby pro » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 15:17

Denali,

My pressure gauge has been switched out twice, and still doesn't work correctly. When the pump is off the gauge reads 10. On it reads 30. How many times should (or can) I backwash? I've done it twice in 2 days? Do you think I should try again?

I thought if the return pressure was slow that would indicate Backwash needed. I have no problem with the return function.

I have dumped the debris from the pump basket , there is none in it.

Someone suggested that the filter (sand) be changed. I have not changed it since I moved here in 2003. That's 7 years. Will that possibly fix the problem?
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Pump has low suction

Postby Denali » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 03:10

pro wrote:Denali,

My pressure gauge has been switched out twice, and still doesn't work correctly. When the pump is off the gauge reads 10. On it reads 30. How many times should (or can) I backwash? I've done it twice in 2 days? Do you think I should try again?

I thought if the return pressure was slow that would indicate Backwash needed. I have no problem with the return function.

I have dumped the debris from the pump basket , there is none in it.

Someone suggested that the filter (sand) be changed. I have not changed it since I moved here in 2003. That's 7 years. Will that possibly fix the problem?

Hi,

With the equipment on, reach your hand down the skimmer and feel the suction. If it's strong then everything is ok with the equipment. Dirty sand can slow down the flow and 7 yrs is a long time. A working pressure gauge makes it easier to figure out if there is a problem.

If the only problem you are seeing is the leaves not being pulled into the skimmer there are a few things to check. One is the water level. If it's too high the leaves won't get pulled in. If you have a weir blade that goes up and down with the water level, it could be broken or stuck.
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Pump has low suction

Postby lbridges » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 07:57

You might have a bunch of crud (using the technical term here) attached/impeding the pump's impeller from doing it's job. With the pump off (unless you just don't like your fingers), remove the basket and see if you can feel anything in there. If there is something, you may have to take the pump apart (or pay someone) for cleaning.
pro
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pump has low suction

Postby pro » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 17:21

I've felt inside the pump already and did not feel and junk on it.

When i put my fingers in the skimmer (with the basket out) i do feel suction.

The water level may be a little high, i will correct that.

I don't think i have a weir blade. Where is that located?

I will be paying someone to change the sand out of the filter. I guess after that i will see if the suction improves. If not i will have the pump cleaned. $$$$$$

thanks for your help.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”