swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
tomd2122
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16.5 x 35.5 Grecian In Ground with DE Filter and Salt Chlorinator

Liner on New Inground Pool Pulling Away from Corners

Postby tomd2122 » Tue 27 Apr, 2010 16:11

I have a new install of an inground pool. The pool has been filled with water but all corners have the liner pulled away from the walls. There is air behind the liner since there is no water in the top portion of the pool to push the liner back. The pool company said this is normal and that probably over time the liner will stetch out and push against the wall corner.

I have had the exact same shape inground pool in the past and this was not the case. The liner was flush against the wall so I thought there was something wrong with the install or the liner. The company is insisting there is no problem and that it will problably fix itself.

When you are spending so much money for a pool you would expect it to be perfect but maybe I am wrong.

Does anyone know whether this is normal and if it will stretch itself out. The pool water is only 53 degrees at this point. I am in NJ so it will be another few weeks before the temp gets to normal.

Thanks

Tom

Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Tue 27 Apr, 2010 18:16

I'm sorry I'm not in to bashing other pool companies but whomever is telling you it's normal is doing you a disservice. Sounds like there is water or air behind that liner and the only option to get it smoothed out is to drain the pool, vacuum the air between the wall and liner OR pull the liner off the tracks and reset. Have you noticed any drop in water level in the meantime?
greg340
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby greg340 » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 21:57

How far away from the wall is it? Liners are always cut just a little short so they stretch slightly to avoid wrinkles. With the temps we're having the vinyl is very stiff
Twin State Pool Service
tomd2122
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby tomd2122 » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 08:27

The liner is about a half inch away from the wall - only at the top corners. I don't think it's an air pocket - yes there is air but only because the liner is tight. If the liner were to stretch and reach the wall the air would be gone. The question is will it stretch or should it have been against the corner from the start.

I was thinking the liner was not cut properly or it is what they said. Let it heat up and it will stretch into place. I am sure if I let the pool water overflow the sides it would get pushed against the wall but once I let the water down to normal levels it would come back.
tomd2122
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby tomd2122 » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 08:32

greg340 wrote:How far away from the wall is it? Liners are always cut just a little short so they stretch slightly to avoid wrinkles. With the temps we're having the vinyl is very stiff

The liner is about a half inch away from the wall - only at the top corners about 2 - 3 inches long - more or less the portion not filled with water. When you said the temps are making the vinyl very stiff - are you thinking it will stretch once we get warmer temps?
tomd2122
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby tomd2122 » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 08:34

Xclusive wrote:I'm sorry I'm not in to bashing other pool companies but whomever is telling you it's normal is doing you a disservice. Sounds like there is water or air behind that liner and the only option to get it smoothed out is to drain the pool, vacuum the air between the wall and liner OR pull the liner off the tracks and reset. Have you noticed any drop in water level in the meantime?

I don't think it's an air pocket - yes there is air but only because the liner is tight. If the liner were to stretch and reach the wall the air would be gone. The question is will it stretch or should it have been against the corner from the start.

I was thinking the liner was not cut properly or it is what they said. Let it heat up and it will stretch into place. I am sure if I let the pool water overflow the sides it would get pushed against the wall but once I let the water down to normal levels it would come back.
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 10:39

Tom,

Yes liners by nature will stretch, but I cannot assure you that it will stretch perfectly back in to place on it's own if it was incorrectly measured. Also keep in mind that if the liner is over a year old, it will have lost a lot of it's elasticity.

Can you post a picture so I can make a better assessment?
tomd2122
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby tomd2122 » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 09:28

Xclusive wrote:Tom,

Yes liners by nature will stretch, but I cannot assure you that it will stretch perfectly back in to place on it's own if it was incorrectly measured. Also keep in mind that if the liner is over a year old, it will have lost a lot of it's elasticity.

Can you post a picture so I can make a better assessment?

Here are a couple of pictures. You can not tell based upon the picture. Maybe that means that I am making a big deal out of nothing. I just did not have this problem with my other Grecian pool. I had to decrease the size of these photos so it is even harder to view.

Thanks for you replies on this.
Attachments
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG (48.82 KiB) Viewed 43069 times
IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG (96.48 KiB) Viewed 43062 times
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG (81.8 KiB) Viewed 43047 times
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Sat 01 May, 2010 10:00

Thanks Tom,

The pictures help. I was under the impression from your first post that the liner was pulled away from the wall. I apologize for the misunderstanding. From what I can tell in these pictures its just slightly pulling away from the corners, which can occur since liners, as somebody mentioned here already, are always cut a little short in order to prevent wrinkling. Chances are, if the liner still has good elasticity, that it will indeed stretch back into place in warmer weather. But if I were you, I would still talk to the installer and ask him what his intentions are just in case it doesn't. Take his word for now, but have him agree to fix if the problem it does not correct itself.

All the best
tomd2122
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby tomd2122 » Mon 03 May, 2010 15:36

Xclusive wrote:Thanks Tom,

The pictures help. I was under the impression from your first post that the liner was pulled away from the wall. I apologize for the misunderstanding. From what I can tell in these pictures its just slightly pulling away from the corners, which can occur since liners, as somebody mentioned here already, are always cut a little short in order to prevent wrinkling. Chances are, if the liner still has good elasticity, that it will indeed stretch back into place in warmer weather. But if I were you, I would still talk to the installer and ask him what his intentions are just in case it doesn't. Take his word for now, but have him agree to fix if the problem it does not correct itself.

All the best

Thanks for you help with this - I appreciate you taking the time to comment.
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Mon 03 May, 2010 17:30

tomd2122 wrote:
Xclusive wrote:Thanks Tom,

All the best

Thanks for you help with this - I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

My pleasure. Please let us know here on the message board about the outcome of this.

Postby Guest » Wed 25 May, 2011 20:39

listen all u have to do is boil hot water pour it onto liner / area needing stretching. pull it with ur own 2 hands and snap it into the track. why wait till it gets hot because it not if the weather is hot its if the pool water is hot. do that and you will laugh at all the bs everyone has been telling you
ChrisBrooks

Postby ChrisBrooks » Sun 28 Aug, 2011 16:07

I just went thru Hurricane Irene and my pool water got too high and I think must of gone behind liner? It is pulling away on the sides of the pool. Definitely a big problem. I am a wreck... Is this fixable? This pool liner is only a year old. I have a call in to the pool company and they are sending someone out tomorrow. I was just wondering if any one knows how this or can this be fixed?
Hope to hear from you,
Chris

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”