Soap suds on surface of pool

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
jkl589
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground 15 inch hayward DE filter

Postby jkl589 » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 19:28

My husband used a cleaner in our filter last fall apparently it didn't get all rinsed out. We opened our pool 2 days ago Once we started the filter the top of the pool became covered with soap suds. We have been skimming and skimming the amount of suds seems at time to be decreasing but then it seems to regenerate. Dose any one have any suggestions on to get rid of the suds?

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 20:21

Are you sure they are soap suds and not the result of too much algaecide?
jkl589
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jkl589 » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 22:20

They look like soap suds but we did put in algaecide what would the difference be?
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 13:16

Some algaecides are known to be sensitive to slight excesses and will produce a white foam. Does it go away after maybe a half-hour after the pump goes off?

If yes, then my guess is the algaecide (next time make sure it's polyquat 60%), but the good news is that it will go away on it's own, timeline dependent on the pool and quantity of product used.
jkl589
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jkl589 » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 14:12

No it doesn't go away by itself. It doesn't go away until we turn off the filter, then slowly builds up when the filter is turned on again.
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby lbridges » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 18:22

Perhaps I phrased my question wrong, nonetheless you answered it - it goes away with the pump/filter off.

It may take a week or two, but run the system as normal and don't use that brand of algaecide anymore.

Postby Guest » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:54

I used about 10 ounces of fabric softener for my 12 x 24 pool. Within 1 hour, the suds were gone. Run the filter.
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby lbridges » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 13:10

I wouldn't/couldn't argue with pool user's real-world results, but in general I also couldn't recommend putting something into a pool without knowing the ingredients and their effect.
hess

Postby hess » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 13:48

We have had a problem with this since opening our pool this summer. When we run the filter it gets worse, when we don't run the filter it gets better. At this moment, the foam/suds are covering 80% of the surface. Any ideas on what to do? We are at a loss.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 15:41

a defoamer may temporarily solve the issue, however, you will still need to find out why it is getting worse. Are there wild animals that use your pool as a means to urinate or defecate? Also, what is the temperature of the pool. If you notice, spa's and hot tubs have a foaming issue which is caused by sweat, urine, etc...
swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby swimfit » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 01:34

This probably is the resultant of algaecide. Unless inspected physically can't conclude surely on the cause. why don't you contact your pool builders? Best and quickest of all options.
luvrockin
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20x40 inground 8' deep end and 3 ft shallow

Postby luvrockin » Thu 02 Jun, 2011 14:37

I opened my pool on Memorial Day and added about 18 oz of algecide to mine per the bottles instruction for size at opening. I have the same issue, when I run the filter it foams/suds up on the top. After the filter is off a bit, it clears up and is as clear as can be. Chemicals are right on. Sounds like it's something with the algecide causing your problem too.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”