Green after it rains

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
fatmoggy104
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Green after it rains

Postby fatmoggy104 » Sat 14 Aug, 2010 12:25

Hi all,
Can anyone help me i look after a Old pool that is giving me a headache,
Everytime we get a rain storm the pool turns green. I went to the pool on Tuesday all was fine chlrorine was fine & PH 7.4 added chlorine tablets as normal into floater. Pump is running for 8hr a day & i changed the sand 6 months ago. It rained heavy last night & i got a call from the owner this morning the pool is turning green . Got there and yes it was starting to turn chemicals at Zero Ph at 8.0. Yesterday before the storm they where happily swimming in it. can anybody help with this Problem

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Green after it rains

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 14 Aug, 2010 19:39

fatmoggy104 wrote:Hi all,
Can anyone help me i look after a Old pool that is giving me a headache,
Everytime we get a rain storm the pool turns green. I went to the pool on Tuesday all was fine chlrorine was fine & PH 7.4 added chlorine tablets as normal into floater. Pump is running for 8hr a day & i changed the sand 6 months ago. It rained heavy last night & i got a call from the owner this morning the pool is turning green . Got there and yes it was starting to turn chemicals at Zero Ph at 8.0. Yesterday before the storm they where happily swimming in it. can anybody help with this Problem

What are the CYA levels? Sounds like this may be your problem!
fatmoggy104
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Green after it rains

Postby fatmoggy104 » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 03:39

Not sure what CYA is we only have basic chemical test kit over here. But after reading other post about green pools i would say it is very high and there are quiet a few trees near the pool to add to the problem . what would be your solution to get the CYA down.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Green after it rains

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 04:14

fatmoggy104 wrote:Not sure what CYA is we only have basic chemical test kit over here. But after reading other post about green pools i would say it is very high and there are quiet a few trees near the pool to add to the problem . what would be your solution to get the CYA down.

Unfortunately, the only immediate way to remove cyanuric acid is to drain some water (6 or so inches) and replace it with fresh. However, it may be more or less depending on the CYA level, and the gallons in the pool. You really need to get a good test kit like the K-2005 or K-2006 by taylor. Another solution which can be a little costly temporarily is to raise your chlorine level to correspond with the high CYA. Since "normal" CYA is 30-50 ppm and that matches with 3 ppm chlorine, you will have to figure out what the CYA is to get your chlorine need. ie: CYA 100 = FC 9ppm approx. Also, when you superchlorinate, make sure you use calcium hypochlorite granule shock, or liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) as neither will effect your CYA further. Anything with the word "stabilized or conditioned" will contain CYA (dichlor, trichlor). Chlorine tablets should only be used in moderation and you should be using liquid chlorine so you don't get CYA levels that are so high. If you have trees that hang over the pool and drop leaves in, you may also have a phosphate problem too which can lead to algae problems. You may want to have it checked for those too as phosphates are algae food!
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: Green after it rains

Postby paulbest » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 22:37

Even with good maintenance and preparation, after a prolonged rain shower your pool water may be overwhelmed with algae and turn green.

what to do?

First we should get over to our local pool supply store and pickup the correct amount of shock and chlorination tablets. The shock will overload the pool with chemicals to clear up and kill the algae.

Pour this into your pool or add to the skimmer as per the instructions. With the chlorination tablets do not throw them into the pool directly. it can discolor and possibly further damage the lining of those with above ground pools.

In a matter of hours you will see a clear difference. Since the shock process will take time, especially if your pool has turned a dark green, you should make sure the rest of your filtration system is working well.

This would be a good time to clear the skimmer and the pump filter. The actual water filter should be cleaned after the algae or green pool water has been cleared up. Unless of course the pool is not only green colored, but with tactile green sludge algae already coming from your water inlet.

Overnight the pool will have cleared up if done properly and you'll be able to see the sediment at the bottom of your pool, if any. Using your available tools, clear this up.

Now is the time to disassemble your water filter and clean or replace the element/s. This will assure that your filter is running optimal. You CAN clean the filter before and after should you wish.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”