Bright green

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
nanpool64
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 round above ground w/ pump & sand filter

Bright green

Postby nanpool64 » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 14:37

my pool is bright green there is no slime on the bottom or sides but is floating in the water like a giant green cloud - help! Algaecide and super shock did nothing

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Bright green

Postby lbridges » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 15:03

Have you been using tabs or granules to get chlorine into the pool? If yes, then the CYA level might be too high - needing a greatly increased shock value to clear the water. Should get the water tests done at a good pool store and report back before spending $$$$$.

And if the that's true, then if the shock you're using has CYA (also known as stabilizer) you need to get some unscented bleach or liquid chlorine (same thing, different strengths) to shock the pool. BTW, some algaecides are mostly effective at preventing algae and not so good at killing it once a pool is loaded up.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Bright green

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 21:39

lbridges wrote:Have you been using tabs or granules to get chlorine into the pool? If yes, then the CYA level might be too high - needing a greatly increased shock value to clear the water. Should get the water tests done at a good pool store and report back before spending $$$$$.

And if the that's true, then if the shock you're using has CYA (also known as stabilizer) you need to get some unscented bleach or liquid chlorine (same thing, different strengths) to shock the pool. BTW, some algaecides are mostly effective at preventing algae and not so good at killing it once a pool is loaded up.

The shock that includes conditioner is known as Dichlor. The shock you should be using is calcium hypochlorite which will not effect your CYA or pH levels!
nanpool64
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 round above ground w/ pump & sand filter

Bright green

Postby nanpool64 » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 22:49

we do use tabs
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Bright green