rust colored spots on bottom of pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
briang

Postby briang » Fri 28 Apr, 2006 18:43

getting rust colored spots in different areas of pool..mostly in shallow areas and around steps? tried an algea control, no luck! anybody familiar with this problem? it seemed to come on fast when the temp staring rising to 85 degree or more?

Pool Helper

Algea or fungus

Postby Pool Helper » Sat 29 Apr, 2006 04:53

What you are seeing may not be algea at all. It is probably a fungus growing under the liner.

You can treat it by liberally appling cuprous ferric oxide around the edge of the pool and watering it in well. It can take weeks or longer before you see results.

Super-chlorination or shock chlorination can bleach the rust color out, but will not kill the fungus under the liner. A copper-base algeacide may help, especially if it contains silver too, but don't pin your hopes on it.
briang

pool liner?

Postby briang » Mon 08 May, 2006 17:09

this is a in ground pool.....does it still have a liner?
michael

Re: pool liner?

Postby michael » Sun 14 May, 2006 11:30

briang wrote:this is a in ground pool.....does it still have a liner?

I've got same problem, any luck..

michaeljob@aol.com
estler

did you find the answer?

Postby estler » Tue 23 May, 2006 19:31

Did you find the answer to the rust colored spots on the bottom of the pool. I have an in ground pool with the same problem and need help...They won't brush out, and more appeared today.
SURFER1

Rust Spots.......

Postby SURFER1 » Wed 24 May, 2006 06:03

I have rust spots on my in ground pool also. I took a sock and filled half of it with acid pellets and put the sock over the rust spot. Worked !!!!!
Lauren

Rust spots

Postby Lauren » Sun 28 May, 2006 10:54

What kind of acid pellets? Did you use the sock as a scrub brush? I have had this for 2 summers. It is like a growth that adheres itself to the pool floor. I have tried to scrub it off but not much luck.
briang

rust spots

Postby briang » Thu 01 Jun, 2006 21:38

no luck on removing the spots...they seemed to have stopped growing when I added "soda ash" to adjust my PH level, but they have not disappeared! Anybody else have any comments on the acid trick in the above posting?
howbout
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby howbout » Mon 12 Jun, 2006 11:06

If it is an IG pool it could be rebar poking through. It is NOT a big deal. We recently had our IG pool acid washed and one spot had rust that was rebar - when I heard that I FREAKED. But then learned it is NO big deal and the acid washing would clear it. And it did. No more rust. So maybe your acid treatment did the same thing...
poolcrack.com

Postby poolcrack.com » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 08:19

Take a pvc pipe long enough to reach the rust spots and pour muriatic acid down pipe directly on stain. Use a respirator or be careful because the acid is bad for your lungs when inhaled. Then use a metal inhibitor like phosphonic acid or Jack's majenta to prevent the return of your rust spot.

Postby Guest » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 06:06

Great idea. :thumbup:
Thanks, it worked a charm.

Postby Guest » Tue 18 May, 2010 12:39

Pool User wrote:Great idea. :thumbup:
Thanks, it worked a charm.

Which one was the great Idea? The tablets in a sock or the PVC pipe and Acid? :?:
jake12
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jake12 » Fri 01 Oct, 2010 04:17

poolcrack is right, you might need a good respirator, safety first of course, here's a sample of a good respirator: http://www.respirated.com . Good luck
ryan

Postby ryan » Thu 04 Aug, 2011 13:18

bump

which solution works?
tOM66331

Rust spots

Postby tOM66331 » Sun 01 Jul, 2012 10:30

Lauren wrote:What kind of acid pellets? Did you use the sock as a scrub brush? I have had this for 2 summers. It is like a growth that adheres itself to the pool floor. I have tried to scrub it off but not much luck.

The rust colored stains are most likely from metal in the water. Some towns run flushing in the water supply and if your adding a lot of pool water during this time you will add too much metal in the water. The browning usually hits the plastic fixtures first such as the jet returns, however it can settle and stain any portion of the liner that water settles with less flow. Try concentrated doses of metal out and stir the water with your pool brush.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”