Foam/Suds all over pool.....(not an algecide problem)

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.

Postby Guest » Fri 02 Jun, 2006 13:10

Ok so heres my problem.... my father and I just opened up the pool two days ago.
Pump has been on pretty much non stop. (which is what we normally do every year)

The pool is covered in foam, Only shock was added, No algecides-
the pool is almost clear...
we've backwashed, tried turning the pump off for a few hours.
still no luck. still foam.
when I scoop the foam with a net you can hear it fizzing?!?!?!

We took the water to be tested at the local pool store, and All the levels come back perfect. All.

We're basically at a loss and dont know where to turn from here.
My father has taken care of this pool for 25 years and this is first time we cant solve the issue.

Can it really be that simple as to buy a de-foamer?

Take a look at my new bathtub in the back yard. :roll:

JS

foam?¿?

Postby JS » Thu 08 Jun, 2006 07:48

hi there,

I too had foamy water coming back into my pool, I noticed that my 1HP motor(which really foams up the water if there's air) was only 3/4 full in the basket so I replaced the lid gasket and the seal is alot tighter removing most of the air bubbles. I was amazed it was something so simple as that, now I just have to fix my pH and I hope it's good to go!

Good Luck!!!
JCM

Postby JCM » Tue 13 Jun, 2006 20:18

I'm having the same problem. Mine seems to fizz too. Did you find a solution?
Pool Princess

Foamy Pool

Postby Pool Princess » Tue 20 Jun, 2006 16:57

Thanks to your advice about replacing the gasket to eliminate the bath tub look to my pool!

I now have one happy husband!

Much appreciated.
deaun

Defoamer

Postby deaun » Wed 02 May, 2007 21:30

Can it really be that simple as to buy a de-foamer?

YES it is! Thank God, it IS!!!

Thank you to those who suggested it--after two weeks of a milky/foamy pool, it took less than 15 minutes to clear the foam. Now, I just need to shock-shock-shock it again...
:D
pool swimmer

Foam?¿?

Postby pool swimmer » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 19:19

JS wrote:hi there,

I too had foamy water coming back into my pool, I noticed that my 1HP motor(which really foams up the water if there's air) was only 3/4 full in the basket so I replaced the lid gasket and the seal is alot tighter removing most of the air bubbles. I was amazed it was something so simple as that, now I just have to fix my pH and I hope it's good to go!

Good Luck!!!

Hi,
I have noticed this year there is a little leak coming from the pump when I shut it down. If it is as simple as changing out the gasket I will be forever your friend! I will find out tomorrow. Thanks so much for the info!!!! DR
bobobi-wan
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: university pool(150,000 gal)and 2 spas.pentair pumps and filters

Postby bobobi-wan » Mon 18 May, 2009 11:23

my spa (not heated at this time)gets a lot of suds when I turn the jets on.this also happened when the spa's were kept at 98 and 103.Ichecked my phosphate level which read less than 100(in case it was soap related).I can treat and get rid of the suds with Anti-Suds by Haviland but that only treats the surface and the next time I turn the jets on,the suds are back.Last time I cleaned the filter with Bio-Dex's filter cleaner.Is this the right way? I'm curious as to the source of the suds as all my reads are done 2x a day and are kept at recommended levels.TDS is 3,000-5,000 but they're OK.any other recommendations<
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Tue 19 May, 2009 10:17

Soft water can foam, check your Calcium Hardness.

Rinse your bathing suits. The soap in them can cause foaming. And absolutely keep any dish detergent a mile away or the foam will be massive and take forever to get rid of.

Dissolved solids are just that. Solids that stay dissolved in the water, normally a hot water spa but pools as well. Any outside air cooling the dissolved solids can un-dissolve them and create that wonderful foam. This is fixed by keeping the water properly shocked so these things do not build up in the water.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”