Cloudy pool water with white flakes/particles

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
wes5314
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15x 48 intex pool vynil

Postby wes5314 » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 11:25

I have a 15x 48 Intex vinyl pool that has a filter cartridge. This year when we opened it we run the start up chemicals. Now we are having a problem with white flaky particles and cloudy water. We have took our water to the pool supply store to check it and they say that everything is fine except the pH is low. Which we are raising with the pH up. The other tests are normal. We have shocked the pool multiple times as well as multiple of bleach in it. We still can not seem to get rid of the problem. Also, bleach with different filters do not seem to fix the problem. Once we change each filter, we rinse and wash with bleach. Any help with this would be great as I am a newbie to all this pool stuff. :?:
Attachments
0607111122.jpg
0607111122.jpg (85.48 KiB) Viewed 27484 times

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 11:52

You didn't post any water chemistry levels, including the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. Please get your own good test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100. If the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level is high (above 60 ppm), then do a partial drain/refill to lower it. Read how to Shock Your Pool.

Postby Guest » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 16:01

here are some numbers i bought a test kit online i borrowed my neighbors kit what he had of his kit left my numbers are as follows

cl 3.0
br 6.5
ph 7.0
ta 220

did hard water test it turned violet after first 2 drop then i added the other soulution till it ran out and that was like 110 drops and it had not turned blue yet was clear looking could not test cya but will run to pool store to get it tested tommorow till i get my kit
wes5314
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby wes5314 » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 16:02

sorry for got to log in above

here are some numbers i bought a test kit online i borrowed my neighbors kit what he had of his kit left my numbers are as follows

cl 3.0
br 6.5
ph 7.0
ta 220

did hard water test it turned violet after first 2 drop then i added the other soulution till it ran out and that was like 110 drops and it had not turned blue yet was clear looking

Postby Guest » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 18:00

Looks like you added too much flocculant
wes5314
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby wes5314 » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 19:14

Okay so what do I need to do in order to fix this problem?

Postby Guest » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 00:14

Run the filter during the day. Sometimes turning off the pump at night will cause the floc to settle better, but aluminyum based flocculants are unpredictable.
If there is settling it is often better to vacuum to waste to get the floc out quicker.
The process of getting rid of the excess floc can take a up to a week so be patient and DO NOT add any flocculant/ clarifier/ brightener/ etc. as these will only make the problem worse.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”