water coming out of backwash hose during filtration

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
krista

Postby krista » Wed 26 May, 2010 18:33

was wondering were all my pool water was going and noticed that water was coming out of backwash hose when pool was filtering. any help appereciated.

Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Wed 26 May, 2010 23:08

Krista,

Sounds like a problem with the backwash valve or multiport. It could be a simple fix such as replacing the gasket in the valve or if the valve is defective altogether it may warrant a replacement. How old is your system?
riverdogg8899
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: my pool is kidney shaped and about 12,000 gallons

Postby riverdogg8899 » Tue 15 Jun, 2010 15:13

Krista,

Make sure the backwash is all the way closed. It is probably just a bad o-ring or gasket pending on what kind of backwash valve you have. If you need any parts go to the pros
Good luck,
Rob

krista wrote:was wondering were all my pool water was going and noticed that water was coming out of backwash hose when pool was filtering. any help appereciated.
SPMG
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby SPMG » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 11:23

Hello Krista,

This is a common problem as the multi-port valve gets older.
Nothing lasts forever!

Install a tap on the waste hose and then no water can escape to the drains, or replace the spider gasket or the whole valve. A new valve and a tap on the waste pipe is the best belt-and-braces approach.

SPMG
Griswold

Postby Griswold » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 13:00

We have the same problem here. What is a tap and a spider gasket?
kmenhel

Postby kmenhel » Sat 02 Jul, 2011 13:15

I'm having the same problem and I just replaced the valve. Can't remember if I got a new gasket. Will check for invoice and see.
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Postby cpo2go » Wed 27 Jul, 2011 23:03

If it's a Multi-port valve, then it has a "spider gasket". With the power shut off to the pump, remove the top of the valve (handle, etc), inside is a gasket that is shaped a little like a spider's web, hence the name. :)
These are pretty easy to replace as long as you do an awesome job of cleaning out the old one. Lube and properly seat the new one and re-assemble the top of the valve and you're done.
To "tap" the line basically means to install a valve that you can close all the time on the backwash line. Just remember to open it before you try to backwash :)
If you have a "Push-pull" valve, it's a very easy fix: unscrew the screws on the top, pull the piston out, replace all the O-rings, lube them and re-assemble. Very basic.
Another trick, that sometimes works when the multi-port valve leaks, is to sipping the valve all the way around, past filter, and back again. This can help ensure proper seating.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.
jim johnston

Postby jim johnston » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 10:24

krista wrote:was wondering were all my pool water was going and noticed that water was coming out of backwash hose when pool was filtering. any help appereciated.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 14:33

SPMG wrote:Hello Krista,

This is a common problem as the multi-port valve gets older.
Nothing lasts forever!

Install a tap on the waste hose and then no water can escape to the drains, or replace the spider gasket or the whole valve. A new valve and a tap on the waste pipe is the best belt-and-braces approach.

SPMG

You don't need a new multi-port valve. That would be un-necessary work as you would have to cut PVC and re plumb it over a $20 issue. The only part that needs to be replaced here is the spider gasket. If you let us know what the model number is of your multi-port valve, we can let you know which gasket you will need!

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”