Eus Mark VI Heat Pump Leak

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
oldarmyguy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 inground with Sta-Rite Cartridge Filter (11 years old - new cartridge of course) , 1.5 HP Hayward pump (new). 11 year old Mark VI heat pump.

Postby oldarmyguy » Mon 18 Jun, 2012 11:44

I turned on my 11 year old EUS Mark VI heat pump yesterday. When I check back an hour or so later to see how it was doing, there was water running from underneath it. I turned it off, left the pool pump running and went to do some errands. When I came back the area around the heater had already dried. I turned the heat pump on again this AM and in 30 minutes, the slab was wet again. I turned the heat pump off, left the pool pump running and once again the pad was almost totally dry within an hour.
So before you tell me, I KNOW, my heat pump has a leak. However, I was under the impression that water was constantly flowing through the heat pump so why is it that the pump only leaks when I turn the heat pump on. There is no sign of leakage when it is off although there is a slight gurguling noise peridoically.
I was just curious before I pull the fool thing apart and try to find the leak.
Thanks for your help

oldarmyguy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 inground with Sta-Rite Cartridge Filter (11 years old - new cartridge of course) , 1.5 HP Hayward pump (new). 11 year old Mark VI heat pump.

Postby oldarmyguy » Tue 19 Jun, 2012 06:25

I just wanted to do a quick update on the "leak". Well it actually wasn't a real leak. After getting down on the ground and doing a closer inspection I find that the water was coming from the a broken pvc pipe that ran from the condesation tray on this unit. I turned the unit on it run for about an hour. Just to make sure, I tested the water coming out of the heat pump with a chlorine test strip and guess what?? No chlorine present.
Thanks to all that took time to read my original post.
It is probably time to upgrade to a more energy efficient unit anyway

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”