Pool still green after shock, banish, and clarifier

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
mariaanderson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We have an inground 26,000 gal. pool. It is an 18x36. We have a heyward system. It is 8 to 9 ft deep.

Postby mariaanderson » Sun 14 Jun, 2009 15:40

we double shocked the pool as told by the pool place and it lightened up from dark green to cloudy teal blue. we shocked again and used banish. we used clarifier because the pool was cloudy. we woke up this morning and it is turning green again. they are saying we dont have any chlorine in the pool but we filled the chlorinator and the skimmer. we are at a loss because we dont know what is going on. it stayed clear and beautiful all winter long and up to spring but now it will clear up and turn right back green. also the pressure is reading 20 to 25 could this be the problem? this all really started when we noticed the pressure was high. we were told that we may have a leak or air was getting in somehow. we have done everything that we know possible. we put new sand in back in april before we opened the pool. we have had to shock it a lot, but this time it wont come clear. please if anyone can it would be appreciatted. it was swamp green when we moved in last year and we finally got it clear in october. this is the first time we have dealt with a pool. :?:

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 15 Jun, 2009 00:03

BioGuard Banish algaecide is copper ions (see here) and though copper kills and prevents algae, if overdosed or when the pH rises it can turn water green and can stain pool surfaces and turn blond hair greenish. You may now need to use a metal sequestrant to reduce the effects of the copper and should read Defeating Algae.
poollady

Postby poollady » Tue 31 Aug, 2010 14:32

We had this same problem and Floc cleared it up completely in one day. It makes the algae particles sink to the bottom of the pool and leaves clear water. You vacuum it to waste - takes out a lot of the water so stick a hose in the pool and let it re-fill while you're vacuuming.
duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 24X52 DIY Concrete and liner

Postby duraleigh » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 10:57

Maria,

You have two problems going on........both related. You have ongoing algae breeding in your pool and it is clogging your filter.

Problem #1 is getting rid of the algae. It requires chlorine and lot's of it.....more than you have been using. You are pretty much wasting your time putting in clarifiers and floc or any other pool store product. You need to kill the algae first with chlorine. As chem geek suggested, clicking on that link he provided will get you into Pool School and you can follow a logical process to clear your pool.

There will be no "magic" fix. It will be a process that may take a few days to complete.
24x52 DIY concrete block and liner
1.5HP pump 925lb sand filter
http://www.tftestkits.net
torontopoolservice.com

Postby torontopoolservice.com » Fri 07 Jan, 2011 13:17

I agree that it needs ALOT of chlorine to start the process, be careful to not start adding all sorts of products. I would check the phosphates, any amount detected can cause you problems. If they are present you need to use a phosphate remover ( Phos-out) and then look at where they are coming from (vegetation over the pool, gardens nearby, runoff, ground wtaer etc..).

Postby Guest » Wed 04 Jul, 2012 15:43

sounds like mustard algae and it lives on chlorine. i had to get something just for mustard algae. it comes from ponds and creeks birds can even bring it in. once u get it though its hard to get rid of
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 05 Jul, 2012 10:59

Yellow/mustard algae does NOT live on chlorine. Chlorine kills it, but it takes higher levels. Read the Pool School article on Mustard Algae for information on getting rid of it using chlorine alone.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”