Please Help! I put too many Algaecide in my pool

Problems relating to the Pool Help Forum website and general forum help.
Suggestions and criticisms that would improve your web experience.
francislam
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: The size of my pool is 33' x 17' with capacity about 100,000 L or 28,000 gallons.

Postby francislam » Thu 28 May, 2009 06:53

I think I put too much Algaecide (total 2 L - 2 bottles of 1 L each) in the pool which generates a lot of foam. The algaecide I use is Sani-Marc Prevention 40.

The size of my pool is 33' x 17' with capacity about 100,000 L or 28,000 gallons.

Question: How can I rectifier the situation? Anything I can put in to neutralize the algaecide. Thanks

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 28 May, 2009 12:26

This is what is known as a linear-quat algaecide and they are prone to foaming. They are inexpensive and you get what you pay for. If you must use an algaecide, PolyQuat 60 is much better to use, doesn't foam, is very effective, and is also a clarifier as well. It is more expensive.

As for your foaming, it will dissipate over time as the algaecide will slowly break down from chlorine. You can shock the pool with higher chlorine levels if you want to get rid of it faster, but this is not necessary as it will go away probably in about a week (two at the most).

Read the Pool School to learn how to manage your pool without the need for extra algaecides, phosphate removers, clarifiers or other products -- just chlorine (bleach or chlorinating liquid) alone and possibly some acid for pH adjustment.
Julie

Postby Julie » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 06:51

Do you have a link to The Pool School?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 20:48

Sure, it's The Pool School. I either must have forgotten the link in the older post or it got removed (possibly because it became dead if the link moved).
wisdom1452

Postby wisdom1452 » Sun 30 Jun, 2013 17:00

Buy yourself some defoamer. You get this in the spa section. The algecide will still be present, but it will not be foaming.

Return to “Problems & Suggestions for this Forum”