Pump Motor Shuts Off After 10 seconds

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jim1504
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 15k gal in ground, gunnite, pool/spa

Postby jim1504 » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 09:27

I have an inground pool/spa with a 3/4 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump. The pump motor will turn on for about 10 seconds and shut off before getting a prime. After it shuts off, it will not immediately turn back on - it will turn back on after a few minutes. The impeller does spin. Anyone have any ideas? TIA
Jim

Postby Guest » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 10:50

Is there a thermal/ current overload relay that is cutting the power? Could be the pump is drawing too much current and is cutting the electricity.

Is the problem sudden, or did it happen after a period of no use?
jim1504
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby jim1504 » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 11:29

Thanks for the help. It does seem as though something is cutting the power since there is a short delay before the pump will turn back on (even manually). Never had a problem before with the pump itself. It has run everyday since the problem appeared yesterday. I double checked the electrical connections on the pump and at the switch.

Pool User wrote:Is there a thermal/ current overload relay that is cutting the power? Could be the pump is drawing too much current and is cutting the electricity.

Is the problem sudden, or did it happen after a period of no use?
jim1504
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby jim1504 » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 16:09

FYI, the capacitor was defective. After replacing it works perfectly.

Postby Guest » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 06:33

:D relief no doubt.
rogerscott

Pump Motor Shuts Off After 3 to 5 seconds

Postby rogerscott » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 17:10

i just replace the seals in my pool pump and rewired the motor just as i did taking it off only now when i turn the power on the motor runs for about 3 to 5 secs the shuts off about 3 to 5 mins later i here a click and can turn the motor back on then 3 to 5 secs later shuts off,,it was running fine 3 hrs ago when i started,,what's the problem anybody know ,,i need help ASAP
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 20:17

That "click" you are hearing is the thermal switch resetting itself. The pump motor is overheating.

Couple things you can try:

Double check the wiring. Even if you are 100000% sure you did it right, check it anyway. I've made that mistake more than once.

Check the diffuser plate and make sure you didn't over tighten it - this would make it press against the impeller and would overheat the pump in a matter of minutes.

Did you replace the impeller when you had the pump apart? If you re-used the old one, that could be causing your problem. I've had it happen to me several times where I tried to re-use the old impeller and it caused the pump to overheat in a few minutes and shut itself off. Some impellers (mostly Hayward) have plastic threads and they may feel tight when you put the impeller back on, but the impeller will wobble just enough to make it bind up against the seal plate and cause friction. The pump will run for a few minutes, then the thermal switch will shut it off till the motor cools down. It's been my experience that this happens a lot with older Hayward pumps that had plastic threads on the impellers. The new impellers have metal threads so you can re-use those a few times.

Hope this helps! Let us know your findings.

-CG
rogerscott

Postby rogerscott » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 14:54

i've checked the impeller and the diffuser and i have checked the wiring again and it still just runs for about 5 secs and shuts off,,i read a post abouve where the guy changed the capacitor could that be the problem maybe? it is a 1 1/2 horse ao smith motor with 115/230
Lene

Re: Pump Motor Shuts Off After 10 seconds

Postby Lene » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 05:52

Motor Shuts Off After 10 seconds
Postby jim1504 » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 16:09
FYI, the capacitor was defective. After replacing it works perfectly.

Jim,
I have a very similar problem with the pool pump right now. Do you recall which capacitor you replaced? Was it the "run" capacitor, which is the silver colored one (mine is located in a housing on top of the pump). Or, did you replace the "start" capacitor, which would probably be the black colored one?

Thank you,
Arlene

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”