Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
shelster
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool water has turned black murky color

Postby shelster » Wed 26 Jul, 2006 08:34

Help. We have a 20 x 40 inground cement pool. The ph must have dropped while we were away I guess. When we returned we shocked the pool. I have iron pipes that run to our pool and I know the water dicoloration is an iron issue. The pool water has turned black and is very murky. You can not see the bottom of the pool at all. However the pool information on line that I have found says if the "black sludge monster" now lives in your pool that you must drain it and refill it. That this is the best way. We have approx 35,000 gals of water in our pool to refill will be a considerable amount of money. Wondering does anyone out there know of a product that will get the pool water back to sparkling blue without draining the pool. Concerned of course about costs but to refill and acid wash a pool this size will be next to $1000.00 any suggestions to get around the draining process. HELP.

Re: Pool water has turned black murky color

Postby Guest » Fri 11 Aug, 2006 20:13

shelster wrote:Help. We have a 20 x 40 inground cement pool. The ph must have dropped while we were away I guess. When we returned we shocked the pool. I have iron pipes that run to our pool and I know the water dicoloration is an iron issue. The pool water has turned black and is very murky. You can not see the bottom of the pool at all. However the pool information on line that I have found says if the "black sludge monster" now lives in your pool that you must drain it and refill it. That this is the best way. We have approx 35,000 gals of water in our pool to refill will be a considerable amount of money. Wondering does anyone out there know of a product that will get the pool water back to sparkling blue without draining the pool. Concerned of course about costs but to refill and acid wash a pool this size will be next to $1000.00 any suggestions to get around the draining process. HELP.

Sounds like copper oxide. Confirm by having the water tested for copper. Drain, acid wash and refill. Sorry.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”