Swimming Insects

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Carol

Swimming Insects

Postby Carol » Tue 07 Jun, 2005 08:25

I live in Central Florida and have just recently put up an above ground 18' x 48" pool. Since filling it I have noticed swimming insects in the pool. They look to be about 3/4" long, yellow with single wings on either side of their body and swim very fast. I've tried netting them and they sort of hop out of the net back into the pool. My main concern is whether or not they bite/sting. Help!

ahab

Swimming Insects

Postby ahab » Fri 24 Jun, 2005 14:18

if there are insects in the pool they are likely living on algae. shock your pool and treat for algae, better safe than sorry. and yes, they could bite you if they think you are tasty.(just kidding)
KimB
I'm new here
I'm new here

Swimming bugs

Postby KimB » Thu 30 Jun, 2005 16:05

I KNOW WHAT THESE ARE!!! I logged on to here in hopes of someone knowing how to get rid of them! They are called BACKSWIMMERS and from what I have seen online you really can't get rid of them!! They can fly and they are not effected by SHOCK because they breath air. They do bite and it says that it feels like a painful sting. I have netted a few of them and threw them out of the pool but at one time I witnessed one flying right back in!! this SO grosses me out!!! If anyone finds anything that might get rid of them please let me know!!!
Thanks.
Kim
sheila
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Swimming Insects and swimming bugs

Postby sheila » Tue 05 Jul, 2005 20:58

thank you KIM!! :D I have the same thing in my pool only 1 this year...last year more yuck!! I'll try and get him tomorrow and step on him!! :twisted: thank you for the info!! :D :D
kw4414

Re: Swimming Insects

Postby kw4414 » Mon 18 Jul, 2005 21:32

Carol wrote:I live in Central Florida and have just recently put up an above ground 18' x 48" pool. Since filling it I have noticed swimming insects in the pool. They look to be about 3/4" long, yellow with single wings on either side of their body and swim very fast. I've tried netting them and they sort of hop out of the net back into the pool. My main concern is whether or not they bite/sting. Help!
yes i have a few of the bugs and they are water bugs and they bite. i saw one as big as a thumb nail and it was brown whin i got in the pool it came after me so i got out an it followed me to the latter i watched it an it hied behind the latter .every time i got in the water it would wate about a minet .an it would start swiming toward me.i don't know what it is called .
kw4414

Re: Swimming Insects

Postby kw4414 » Mon 18 Jul, 2005 21:33

[quote="Carol"]I live in Central Florida and have just recently put up an above ground 18' x 48" pool. Since filling it I have noticed swimming insects in the pool. They look to be about 3/4" long, yellow with single wings on either side of their body and swim very fast. I've tried netting them and they sort of hop out of the net back into the pool. My main concern is whether or not they bite/sting. Help![/quote][size=18][/size][size=12][/size]yes i have a few of the bugs and they are water bugs and they bite. i saw one as big as a thumb nail and it was brown whin i got in the pool it came after me so i got out an it followed me to the latter i watched it an it hied behind the latter .every time i got in the water it would wate about a minet .an it would start swiming toward me.i don't know what it is called .
Visitor

Backswimmers & Waterboatmen

Postby Visitor » Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:39

Did a web search on these insects. Have them in my pool after rains & whenever I forget/don't treat it regularly. Apparently they fly & live in water.
Backswimmers and water boatmen are members of the order Hemiptera. The most noticeable difference between the two is that water boatmen swim on their tummies and backswimmers don’t. On closer inspection, the backswimmers have a segmented, sharply pointed beak admirably suited for piercing the bodies of their prey. Water boatmen, being not strictly carnivores, have a kinder, gentler rounded beak. Both bugs can and will, however, draw blood from the relatively soft flesh of a human being.

Haven't found any way to actually kill them yet, but I would certainly not swim with them..last summer I got bit by something in the pool & I am pretty sure it was one of these little bugs & it hurt & got very swollen & sore!
sheila
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Swimming insects and swimming bugs

Postby sheila » Wed 10 Aug, 2005 13:15

I have them too, I shocked the pool and all the baby ones died( floating on the top) The big ones, I walked slowly netted them and my husband stepped on the on the ground. They are fast little craps! I think I dont have any right now thanks for all the info!
Bailey Jo

Back Swimmers...

Postby Bailey Jo » Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:16

Hi all.
My name is Bailey and I live in Melbourne Australia. I am a 14 year old girl and i recently found these dreaded backl-swimmers in my pool. Me and my friend were chilling outside and saw them so decided to put two of them in a jar. Now ive discovered that they bite and that is deifnately not cool. What would be the most effective way of getting rid of them? We arent goign away int he summer holidays so I really want to swim :p. Please help! From Bailey.
Bailey Jo

Back Swimmers...

Postby Bailey Jo » Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:18

Hi all.
My name is Bailey and I live in Melbourne Australia. I am a 14 year old girl and i recently found these dreaded backl-swimmers in my pool. Me and my friend were chilling outside and saw LOADS of them so decided to put two of them in a jar. Now ive discovered that they bite and that is deifnately not cool. What would be the most effective way of getting rid of them? We arent goign away int he summer holidays so Id really like to be able to swim :p. I have done heaps of research on them but havent really found a way to get rid of em. Please help! From Bailey.
tmac

backswimmers and boatmen

Postby tmac » Fri 14 Apr, 2006 13:02

The best and cheapest way I've found for killing these instects in my swimming pool is Dawn Dish Soap. I have a 26K gallon pool and I put about a quarter of a cup on the surface with the pumps running, come back 2 to 3 hours later and they will all be floating on the surface, dead as a door nail.
likes bikinis in PA

Postby likes bikinis in PA » Fri 02 Jun, 2006 10:11

By adding the Dawn liquid soap, wouldn't this cause alot of bubbles and foaming from your pump? :evil: :twisted:
redcappy82

Re: backswimmers and boatmen

Postby redcappy82 » Sat 10 Jun, 2006 18:44

Will that mess up the pool and everything in it, and how do you get the soap out of the pool when all the bugs are dead?[/code]
Heidalli

back swimmers

Postby Heidalli » Sat 08 Jul, 2006 12:30

I had a huge problem with backswimmers. I'm talking a few thousand in my pool. I used a whole bottle of Bioguard brand Algaecide called Back-up. A 1/4 of Dawn liquid dish soap for a 25,000 gallon pool also works. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me. I feel like I am pretty much the expert since I have been dealing with these pesky critters for over a year now.
Heidalli

Backswimmers

Postby Heidalli » Sun 09 Jul, 2006 00:17

The Dawn soap makes the pool a little bubbly if you are swimming around, but not too bad. Keep in mind you are only using 1/4 of a cup of soap for a 25,000 gallon pool. So far my pool has been okay. I use both the Dawn liquid soap and the Bioguard Algaecide. I have a huge problem though.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”