How do I decrease water hardness levels in my pool

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.

How do I decrease water hardness levels in my pool

Postby Guest » Sun 24 Jul, 2005 15:51

I cant find a thing about this subject anywhere,... can you help?

Cyber36

Hardness....

Postby Cyber36 » Mon 25 Jul, 2005 12:35

Hi! Most Pool stores (can be a little hard to find)carry a liquid product called Metal-Out. I think it also has something relating to stain removal in sub-title under product name. Comes in a quart bottle. Follow manufactures instructions & you should be in business.......
Pool Hardness

Hard swimming pool water

Postby Pool Hardness » Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:22

There are commercial pool products to "remove" hardness or calcium levels. They can be used once off if the hardness is an accumulation, or can be added weekly if the fill water is very hard.

Keeping the pH a little low (pH 7.0) can prevent scale problems associated with hard water.
mrmike

Reduce hardness in pool

Postby mrmike » Sat 22 Apr, 2006 19:02

I used a regular water softener and a submersible pump - took 2 weeks to go from almost 700 to 200 ppm
wotcha

pool water hardness

Postby wotcha » Tue 25 Apr, 2006 02:23

You could try zeolite in your sand filter. It will suck up the hardness.

You need to dump some salt into the filter every now and then to displace the calcium which can then be backwashed out.
ddrumm
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Reduce hardness in pool

Postby ddrumm » Thu 27 Apr, 2006 12:00

mrmike wrote:I used a regular water softener and a submersible pump - took 2 weeks to go from almost 700 to 200 ppm

What brand of water softener did you use? Could you define a submersible pump? (Brand, cost)
Is your pool inground and where did you place the submersible pump?

ddrumm
Pool Helper

Reduce hard pool water

Postby Pool Helper » Sat 29 Apr, 2006 05:17

You could use any resin-based water softening unit. You could also pump water through it using any pump you have handy.

A submersible pump is a pump you drop into the water, the kind they usually use for water ponds and features.

I assume mrmike pumped the water through the softening tank and then piped it back to the pool.
Ice-cream

Salt water chlorine generator

Postby Ice-cream » Fri 16 Jun, 2006 12:48

I wouldn't be worrying much about the hardness weren't for having the chlorine generator.

I live in Malta and the water here is extremely hard (the entire island is made of limestone!).

On the instruction manual it says the titanium plates of the generator have to be checked for limescale every 3 months or so.

But in my case the alarm buzzer goes off every 3 days. And every 3 days we have to clean the titanium plates.... :(

I wonder what is the best thing for me (other than getting rid of the chlorine generator)...
Deaun who can't sign in

Re: Hard swimming pool water

Postby Deaun who can't sign in » Sun 17 Jun, 2007 16:43

Pool Hardness wrote:There are commercial pool products to "remove" hardness or calcium levels. They can be used once off if the hardness is an accumulation, or can be added weekly if the fill water is very hard.

Keeping the pH a little low (pH 7.0) can prevent scale problems associated with hard water.

Hmmm...my fill comes from the well--and we have a whole lot of lime. The scale is an accumulation, but is also in the water (duh). My pool is a vinal liner, in-ground. Does the 7.0 pH still apply for helping with the scale?

I opened my pool in late April and swam in it for the first time yesterday--still needs work. :cry: I am devastated. Thank you for help (or at least listening).

Deaun
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Hard swimming pool water

Postby Buggsw » Sun 17 Jun, 2007 19:45

Deaun, yes the pH of 7.0 means your water is more acidic and will soften scale a little bit. Since you are vinyl, don't go under 7.0 or else you run the risk of permanent puckering in your liner.

Calcium hardness removers are very expensive. So, if you have a hardness problem, softening it before adding it to your pool is a better idea.
meatloaf
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10,500 Plaster pool. Sta-Rite HRPB 30 Sand filter, 13 in floor Quik-Klean pop up jets.

Postby meatloaf » Mon 09 Jul, 2007 21:25

mrmike wrote:I used a regular water softener and a submersible pump - took 2 weeks to go from almost 700 to 200 ppm

This idea has got my attention. Could you elaborate on this process?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 20:40

meatloaf wrote:

This idea has got my attention. Could you elaborate on this process?

The pump is to empty the "hard" pool water out into the yard...

The water softener is used to re-fill the above water with "soft" water from the house. Most outdoor hose bibs bypass the water softner so you would have to rig up a hose from a washing machine, sink, etc.

All this assumes you actually HAVE a water softener in your home however. ;)
jimkam

pool hardness

Postby jimkam » Wed 31 Oct, 2007 12:31

I have a 12,000 gallon - salt system pool - my pool water hardness was 1250 - I have been using a product called HYDROQUEST 100 for the past year - each 1 pound bag will reduce my hardness 300ppm - takes 7-14 days for the product to work effectively - with regular usage I have been able to maintain 400-500ppm - I am very pleased with the product - I have no scale problem, etc. anymore.
Rioesmarex

Hard water in pool

Postby Rioesmarex » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 15:53

Back in October someone named Jimcam posted an answer to the hard water problemm saying he used a commercial product called HYDROQUEST 100 to solve his problem
Does anyone know where to buy this product, ..... and it's cost ...... or even better, to do it less expensively, what is the main ingredient in the product or is there a generic version ?

Thanks
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

decrease water hardness levels in my pool

Postby mr_clean » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 18:25

if you clickhere & scan down page you will see the product & price.

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”