Sand Filter vs Cartridge Filter

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.

Sand Filter vs Cartridge Filter

Postby Guest » Fri 23 Mar, 2007 21:45

I'm having a new fiberglass pool installed with a salt water system. My neighbor swears by his sand filter and said that I shouldn't get a cartridge filter. Another pool company told me that he never used sand filters and recommended cartridge filters. What are the pros & cons?

Postby Guest » Sun 08 Apr, 2007 22:09

I've dealt with Sand, DE and Cartridge. Sand is the cheapest and easiest to deal with, by far. Matter of fact, I just replaced my 8 year old DE filter with a new sand filter and had zeolite put in, instead of sand. Fantastic job, equal clarity as my DE filter did at its best!

Originally, with sand filters using regular sand, the water wasn't as clear as you could get with a DE filter. No longer true with the new zeolite medium. I only recommend sand filters if you use zeolite, though - otherwise, I prefer DE over cartridge. Zeolite is more expensive than sand, but not prohibitive. This is still cheaper than DE or Cartridge.

DE filters are high maintenance and costly to fix especially if you are not a do it yourselfer. You need to regularly replenish the DE powder.

I found that cartridge filters were a pain in the neck cleaning the cartridges and if you need to replace the cartridges they are expensive.

Re: Sand Filter vs Cartridge Filter

Postby Guest » Wed 18 Apr, 2007 20:44

Guest wrote:I'm having a new fiberglass pool installed with a salt water system. My neighbor swears by his sand filter and said that I shouldn't get a cartridge filter. Another pool company told me that he never used sand filters and recommended cartridge filters. What are the pros & cons?

Here is a nice comparison of sand, cartridge and DE.

HTH

Postby Guest » Fri 20 Apr, 2007 14:34

I've only had 1 pool and that pool has a cartridge filter. I can confirm that cleaning the filter is a pain in the next. It must be physically removed and taken somewhere to hose off. Then you soak it in chemicals, which is a pain. :(

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”