Pool got cloudy after shocking

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
ToddFur

Postby ToddFur » Sun 15 May, 2005 21:20

My pool was clear and in good shape until I shocked it and it got all cloudy. I went to a local pool store to have the water tested out and the result came out pretty normal. They advised me to put in some "Ultra Bright" which is a blend of polymers. It has been about 10 hours and I'm not sure I see much improvement.

I'm concerned with why this happened if it was crystal clear before I shocked it and if my water readings came out normal?

John B.

Postby John B. » Sat 18 Jun, 2005 11:07

It could be that what you are seeing is the dead algea clouding the water. Have you tried shutting off the pump to let the particles settle out? If not, try it then give the pool a good vacuuming and a good back wash. I hope this helps.
Gov
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Gov » Sat 18 Jun, 2005 17:30

Also a clarifier works good by collecting the "floaties" and taking them to the bottom of the pool so you can vacuum them out!!!
I use weekly!
david didden

cloudy water

Postby david didden » Mon 27 Jun, 2005 16:02

Ok, unexpectedly water/poolsides turned a little green mid season. Applied chemicals earlier than usual and it cleared after a day but turned green again after a week. Was advised to 'shock' the water so did. Green cleared up but, water is now cloudy even after using all types of flocculants and backwashing at least twice a day. Filters are clean, pump runs at least 10 hours a day, pressure good, ph is in limits, alkaline in limits as is the product ppm's. I use a biguanide not chlorine. Current temps and sunshine normal if a little humid ie day time 30/90 degrees. Never had this in the 4 years of the pools life. Nothing to hoover/vacumm up. I think whatever it is is in suspension and the filter is not dealing with it. HELP>
heather r.

Postby heather r. » Mon 11 Jul, 2005 15:35

I am experiencing a cloudy water problem myself - my pool was great except for a low ph level - so I have been adding ph up - and of course I cheaped out and bought it at Wal-mart - well now I have cloudy water - - which has been explained to me is caused by the cheap ph up - it didnt' completely dissolve because it is not pure ph up - there is supposedly lots of filler in the cheap stuff....the water looks clear in the morning... clear with a lot of cloud at the bottom that soon gets stirred up when we go in..it is an above ground pool with a paper filter - so I used a floc agent - wouldnt' you know that the floc doesnt' recommend use with a paper filter - so now - the only answer for me - besides dumping the pool - is to siphon out the cloud at the bottom of the pool - and lose soem of my water that way.....yikes
Amelia

Cloudy water

Postby Amelia » Tue 02 Aug, 2005 00:13

Hey, so heres my mystery. Can anyone help? I opened my pool in April because I got a little excited because we had one nice day and I thought we were getting a early summer. Well the pool looked great when I opened it the water was crystal clear. I kept putting chlorine in it every week no one was using it yet because it was too cold. It still looked good but then I stopped using the chlorine for about 3 weeks, the pool turned green, so I added chlorine, it became lighter and lighter until it became a cloudy white lightish blue color (very nice color but I need it to be clear) it is still like this 3 months later and the summer is almost over. My readings are PERFECT! I bought a water sample in to the local pool store and the said it was perfect reading that I should try a water clarifier (ten dollars a bottle) I bought two and put it in the pool, well nothing I have spent about 3 hundred dollars in chemicals this year. I am very discouraged this year with my pool. The bottom is clean I vacuum all the time, filter is running good and proper amount of time each day. We changed the filter sand this year.

Can anyone help me????
heather r.

Postby heather r. » Tue 02 Aug, 2005 13:27

so - when you put the 2 bottles of clarifier in - did it settle a to a big cloud at the bottom???

I had cluody water once - due to a high alkaline level - and I added muriatic acid- cleared it in minutes !!!

Postby Guest » Tue 02 Aug, 2005 14:11

no it stood cloudy all the way through the water
Gov
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Cloudy water

Postby Gov » Tue 02 Aug, 2005 18:24

First off, you shouldn't have gone 3 weeks without adding chlorine, but you know that now! :D

Try this..in the evening time, throw in 1lb powered shock, 4 oz of algaecide & 4 oz of clarifier, then let the filter run all night.
Per 10,000 gallons.

In the morning, you should see stuff on the pool floor.

Vacuum to waste.

Then continue to add chlorine daily, run filter, at least for 8 hours a day and vacuum when needed.

Also, backwash you filter when reading get 5-7 psi over original reading.

Hope this helps!
Amelia

cloudy water

Postby Amelia » Wed 03 Aug, 2005 23:24

well I got some stuff called FLOC (supposed to coagulate tiny particles and then settle to the bottom of the pool) I put it in let filter run for 1 hour like pool store said and then let sit all night and in the morning should be at the bottom. I will let you know tomorrow.
Cloudy Pool

Cloudy pool water

Postby Cloudy Pool » Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:55

Shocking adds a ton of calcium to the water turning it cloudy overnight. Shock doses of dichlor can be even worse.

To clear the water run the filter round the clock and it should clear within a few days.

I was sick and tired of these problems (algae, cloudy water, loads of money spent on "quick fixes" that don't work too well), so I bought a Pool Wizard I found through the link on this forum. I've had the best (and cheapest) pool season in 9 years. Despite being winter when nobody even looks at the pool, the pool water is still clean, clear and sparkling.
your friend

Postby your friend » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:26

You should never use powders in a pool. Stick with the liquid chlorine
Powders add CYA to your pool, a stabalizer, that builds up and eventually reaches a level where you have eto keep adding more and more powdered chlorine to keep from getting alge.
The only want to remove CYA to safe levels once you reach this state is to drain your pool.

You can add calcium based chlorine product. Same thing, although it does not increase cya as much it increases your calcuim. You cannot just filter to clear up too much calcium, you have to drain water from your pool. This product leads to scale

Search for the Bleach Baking Soda and Borax BBB method of taking care of your pool.

Your pool can be crystal clear using only liquid chlorine, and muratic acid
wingnut81
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24 foot round above ground sand filter

Postby wingnut81 » Tue 22 Jun, 2010 13:52

Hello everyone, I have a 24 foot round above ground with a sand filter. I shocked my pool and it turned green. I was told to put in scale and stain remover to clear it up. I did this, two bottles worth, did not work, still green. Had my water tested today, June 22, every thing is balanced perfect, but water is still green, don't know what to try next. Filter has been running. Need help
CGirl

Postby CGirl » Tue 06 Jul, 2010 20:11

We shocked our pool tonight and it turned cloudy. WE have been testing the water and the readings are fine but the ph was a tad high. The pool was crystal clear. The pool water was 87 degrees. Would that be a factor? What do we do now?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 02:17

If you shocked with a hypochlorite source of chlorine such as chlorinating liquid, bleach or Cal-Hypo, then the pH would rise and could cause cloudiness. You most likely used Cal-Hypo which also raises the Calcium Hardness (CH) level as well. When the water is saturated with calcium carbonate as it should be for plaster pools, then adding Cal-Hypo will often cloud the pool. Since your pH was already high, that's probably what happened. If you add acid to lower the pH, the cloudiness should reduce -- note that the pH should also drop as the chlorine gets used up. If you put all of your test results (from a good test kit such as the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100) into The Pool Calculator it will calculate the saturation index for you.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”