underground pool-skimmer pipe is blocked-how to unblock it?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Leilani

underground pool-skimmer pipe is blocked-how to unblock it?

Postby Leilani » Fri 27 Apr, 2007 15:04

I just found out my skimmer intake pipe is somehow blocked. It won't vacuum or skim much of anything. Had to turn the skimmer off to run pool threw the main drain..Does anyone know how to UN block it without having to hire someone to do it?
Thanks for your help!

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Skimmer blocked

Postby dynamictiger » Fri 27 Apr, 2007 17:03

You could try reverse flow with your garden hose.

If you are lucky a plumbers test plug will fit into your pump suction you can then buy some fittings to attach to your hose and try washing it backwards towards the pool.

HTH
Leilani

Skimmer blocked

Postby Leilani » Sat 28 Apr, 2007 15:45

My pool has three settings..

One- filters threw skimmer,
two-filters threw main drain, or
three-filters threw both at the same time..

I don't know what your mean by reversing it with a hose. I tried pitting the hose down it, but it does not fit, and I think the pipe curves..

You say there should be a fitting I could buy that fits both my hose, and to what part does the other peice hook onto?

I tried using a plunger. Nothing!!
There is water being sucked down, but I guess not enough, because when I turn it to SKIMMER only, It mostly pumps out air..

I NEED HELP!!

I wonder if a pipe snake would work? Then I would have to hire soomeone...
Anyone know what else I can do??

Thanks so MUCH! :)
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Skimmer blocked

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 29 Apr, 2007 17:07

Go to a plumbing supply store and look at a plumbers test plug. I think this will clear up your misunderstanding.

HTH
Leilani75

Skimmer blocked

Postby Leilani75 » Tue 01 May, 2007 15:12

Thank You!
I did go purchase a plumbers test plug. However I don't really know where to go from there. 1) Like where do I put it? 2)And where does the hose go to backwash it back into the pool? 3)With the pump on, or off?

I asked the people in the plumber store, and they had no clue of how this plumbers plug will work for a blocked pool pipe..

So I am counting on your knowledge to help me out once again..
I sure do appreciate your time!
chrisinspring

Skimmer blocked

Postby chrisinspring » Tue 01 May, 2007 17:04

Turn off the pump and remove the pump lid, attach the blow out bag to the hose, then insert it into the pumping. Close off the other suction lines by turn their valves off. Turn on the water and hold the bag inside the pipe (you may need a helper). If this doesn't work than call a pool-pro who can use Co2.
Leilani75

Skimmer blocked

Postby Leilani75 » Tue 01 May, 2007 19:45

OK....With the risk of being laughed at...What is a blow out bag?
Let me see if I understand you correctly..

turn off pump
remove lid
attatch a 'blow out bag" to the hose and insert it into pumping??
close off all suction lines
hold the bag INSIDE the pipe??trun hose on

My questions are:

Number one-what is a blow out bag?
Number two-how do I attatch the hose to this bag?
Number three-does the hose go INTO the pipe system?
Number four-what exactly do you mean by insert it into PUMPING?
Number five-does any of this actually take place by the skimmer, or is it all done at pump?

I can get this, if you can just be a bit more specific. (as specific as possible, so I can understand it ALL-would be wonderfuly helpful)

Again THANKS to ANYONE who can PLEASE, PLEASE Help me!!

Skimmer blocked

Postby Guest » Sun 06 May, 2007 15:47

Question.. How do you flush out your lines after the season. See me I have a air compressor and I made a fitting to run into my 2 or 2-1/2 inch pipe so that when the cold months come i just hook it up plug in the compressor and air shoots the water out off the main and skimmer. If you had that then you could maybe just get away with doing that instead of trying to do it some other way..
Leilani75

Skimmer blocked

Postby Leilani75 » Fri 11 May, 2007 19:19

Air compressor guy (above this reply)..You said get with you, but you did not leave any contact info, or a website adress. I would like to find out more info..Thanks!
studio43
I'm new here
I'm new here

Skimmer blocked

Postby studio43 » Sat 12 May, 2007 17:10

I am having the exact same problem. I've use my air compressor to blow out all the lines of my in-ground pool at the beginning of fall for about 9 years. Today, I was attempting to prime the pump and get it running and begin filtering the pool. I prime the suction line and turn the pump on. My pool is about 35 years old so I only have one suction line from the skimmer. After priming I just couldn't get it to suck. I tried a garden hose to backwash the line and could not see any water coming up in the skimmer. Nothing It's clogged. I have simple fitting I use with the air compressor that I can attach to the 1 1/2" pvc line to blow reverse ways to try and clear the blockage. It didn't work. I had about 30 to 40 psi going into the line. My fitting doesn't seal perfectly so I lose pressure after that. I need to fabricate a better fitting to see if I can increase the pressure into the line. I guess I am worried if I put 100 psi into it might blow a a portion buried pipe or a fitting apart. Not sure what else to do. I have no idea what could clogged it so well that even air can blow it out
I might have to my summer digging instead of swimming
Leilani75

Skimmer blocked

Postby Leilani75 » Sat 12 May, 2007 21:31

Well I actually did go to the plumbers store, I bought the plumbers test plug. I did what everyone has told me to do. I am getting a lot of little stuff, like bugs and small leaves, ect. coming up the skimmer pipe- So that tells me there must be something pretty big blocking it from going past. Which is really bad, because I don't want to spend the money to have someone take 5 minutes and unclog it for $300..
When I turn the pump on, I stick my hand down, and it could almost suck my hand down, so it seems to be sucking great. But when I turn ONLY the skimmer on, the water in the pump starts to lower, and starts to make breathing sounds. I stick my hand down, and it still could suck my hand down it, but for some reason, I guess that's not enough..

I am going to keep trying, because I just don't want to be paying a pool person...
Again, if ANYONE knows how I can get this unclogged, i am begging, PLEASE HELP :?
studio43
I'm new here
I'm new here

Skimmer blocked

Postby studio43 » Sun 13 May, 2007 08:03

Lei
See if you can determine the two points where the clog is occuring.
Skimmer to the pump for instance. Are you able to diconnect the pump line where it goes intothe ground? If so can you use a garden hose to push water in the reverse direction. If so make sure it is flowing clear. Once done hook everthing back up. Pool level needs to be high enough to feed the skimmer without it running dry. With the pump off open the strainer basket lid and fill with water using the garden hose. If you have a return line valve make sure it open and the filter valve is set to FILTER.
As your filling the strainer basket get it high enough so it is overflowing. Quickly put the lid back on and turn the pump on. The water level may drop in the strainer basket. If you have a clear lid you should be able to see water coming in from the skimmer suction line. If everything else is working it should begin to pump stronger and stronger
DanO

Similar problem - here's what I'm going to try

Postby DanO » Fri 18 May, 2007 20:15

I have similar problem. My pool creature (Hayward PoolVac) has managed to suck up some debris and it seems to have mostly clogged my vacuum line somewhere underground. This is virtually identical to Lei's original problem, but in my case the skimmer suction line is OK.

On another site it was suggested that I get a Drain King unclogging device, which attaches to a garden hose. I have a 3-way Jandy valve that distributes the pool pump's suction between my vacuum line and skimmer line, so I'm going to take the top of that valve off, and then try to cram the Drain King down inside the vacuum line. Then turn on the hose and see if anything gets dislodged and shot back into the pool. I hope...

I'll let you know if I have any luck. I suspect this Drain King device might be what others have recommended that you try, Lei. If it doesn't work for me, I'll have to hire a professional to deal with it. The Drain King cost me a whopping $15, by the way. Found it at Ace Hardware.
Leilani75

Skimmer blocked

Postby Leilani75 » Sat 19 May, 2007 16:18

Please do let me know, if it works!!

nothing has worked so far, for me
I might just let it stay clogged, it is bound to wash thru somehow (i hope) overtime. The only thing is vacuuming, it will clog worse....
It is not messing my pump up, so for now until I figure it out, it stays....

God luck-hope you find something that will work!!
dannyv562

This is what you need

Postby dannyv562 » Tue 22 May, 2007 11:52

go down to the hardware store or home supply store
works great. we have used it for year to unclogg our drains.
work of your standard garden hose.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”