Low Pressure at Jets

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Hayward

Low Pressure at Jets

Postby Hayward » Wed 16 May, 2007 20:39

Started up pool for the season. No leaks, air etc. When I held my hand over the return jets the pressure or flow was low. Usually it will push your hand away strongly. Also noticed the pressure gauge was low 9-10lbs, normaly it is 15-18lbs. Water is clear so far,no air in filter or pump. When I set dial valve to recirculate there is no change in pressure ( thought there might be a problem with sand filter). Any thought on what could be wrong. Thanks

sparkwatercleaner

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Wed 16 May, 2007 20:54

Try cleaning the skimmer baskets and / or the pump basket and see what happens. Also check nothing is blocking your suction lines and that the valve you have open(skimmer,main drain on vaccumm port) is fully open.
Hope it helps.
Hayward

Low Pressue at Jets

Postby Hayward » Wed 16 May, 2007 21:12

Thanks for your reply sparkwatercleaner. I had made sure the baskets pump and skimmer were clean and all valves were open.How would I go about checking for an obstruction in my return line. Thanks.
sparkwatercleaner

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Wed 16 May, 2007 21:34

Your pump isn't making any strange noise right? If so, maybe the impeller is clogged and so rotating at a lower speed. Your pump isn't one of those with 2 velocities right? Tension is ok? No air can be seen through the lid? You don't have any type of vaccumming devices connected? If all that is OK, I think you would have to contact a plumber, but you could also try this;
turn off your pump
take out the lid
insert your garden hose through the hole that is above the basket (pipe where water comming from the pool enters while pump is on) with something as a cloth covering all the hole as to prevent a loss in pressure
turn the hose on and let 1 of the valves opened an the other ones closed (you will have to try with each one then)
see if the "backflow" clears the line, or if you notice that the line isn't clogged (if water comes out from the skimmers for instance with the same flow as the hose), try opening another valve
if nothing listed above works, better calling a plumber.
Good luck
Hayward

Low Pressure at Jets

Postby Hayward » Wed 16 May, 2007 22:29

Thanks for the advice sparkwatercleaner I will give it a try.
sparkwatercleaner

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Thu 17 May, 2007 15:15

Any news?
Hayward

Low Pressure at Jets

Postby Hayward » Thu 17 May, 2007 17:18

No news yet sparkwatercleaner .I am going to be trying it this evening.
Hayward

Low Pressure at Jets

Postby Hayward » Sat 19 May, 2007 12:33

Sparkwatercleaner I thought I would start with the pump. It turns out it was the diffuser. Found it to be partially plugged. Cleaned it out and everything seems normal ,pressure is back to 15lbs. Thanks for your help.
sparkwatercleaner

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Sat 19 May, 2007 16:15

Ok. I'm glad to hear you could solve your problem
fairthorne

Low Pressure at Jets

Postby fairthorne » Sat 21 May, 2011 18:42

Hi. I have a problem whit my pool filter sistem. the presure in the filter is to hig (30 psi) and my jets the presure is to low and is taking to long for the water to be clear.
Any sugestions?
Thank you
Fairthorne

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”