Plumbing losing pressure/Filter draining

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
GazzaS
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have a 50,000 litre in-ground concrete pool with a sand filter.

Plumbing losing pressure/Filter draining

Postby GazzaS » Sat 13 Feb, 2021 00:58

Hey everyone,
My money-pit is an in-ground concrete saltwater pool with a sand filter. Other than that I don't know much about it. It came with the house we bought. Since we've had the pool, there have been leaks in the plumbing caused by roots and digging mishaps.

Recently I noticed that while the pump was running, a steady tickle of drops was coming from the waste line. I have also noticed that the filter basket is emptying while the pump isn't running, and when started, air comes out first.

These three things lead me to believe that there is a leak in the valve system on the sand filter. Am I right in this assessment? Could it be something else?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Gaz

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Plumbing losing pressure/Filter draining

Postby Teapot » Sat 13 Feb, 2021 09:01

Trickle of water from the waste line would suggest a failure of the spider gasket in the multiport valve. Depending on the height of the equipment pad in relation to the pool could also allow an air leak to cause the other issue. People often forget about replacing O rings in valves and connecting unions causing issues.
GazzaS
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby GazzaS » Sat 13 Feb, 2021 15:29

Thank you for the helpful response!

I did something different last night. Instead of just walking away from the pump after turning it off, I stayed put and watched and listened. Soon, air bubbles started coming up into the pump's filter. And I could hear water moving (more like a very gentle hissing sound) inside the body of the sand filter. Does this provide any more info?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 13 Feb, 2021 17:27

If water is coming out air can get in and allows the water to drain back into the pool, do as Teapot says and change your spider gasket in the MPV
GazzaS
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby GazzaS » Sat 13 Feb, 2021 19:33

Thank you, guys!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 14 Feb, 2021 03:36

GazzaS wrote:Thank you for the helpful response!

I did something different last night. Instead of just walking away from the pump after turning it off, I stayed put and watched and listened. Soon, air bubbles started coming up into the pump's filter. And I could hear water moving (more like a very gentle hissing sound) inside the body of the sand filter. Does this provide any more info?

If you are getting air into the pump then you have a suction side air leak
Check your pump pre-filter lid "O" ring and lubricate with silicon grease, then check your suction side union seal, then check your pump drain offs
If all these fail then you have a problem with your suction pipework

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”