white foam on pool surface

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
ThresaL

Postby ThresaL » Sat 21 Apr, 2007 18:26

Since opening my pool, I have had a problem with white foam on the surface. Could this mean that the sand in the filter should be changed or could it be caused by an air leak in the polaris? Just can't figure it out. Took water sample to be tested. Chemicals were fine.

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

pool headache

White Foam on Pool = SUDSING ALGAECIDE

Postby pool headache » Wed 23 May, 2007 12:40

Looks like I am in the same boat as you.

I found your post online after experiencing the same problem.

I called my local pool store (Not walmart or other big companies).

The kind gentleman told me I must have used a sudsing algaecide which a big component contains detergent! AGGGGHHHH!

I'm not washing clothes here...why do they even make this crap?

My pool is perfect except for this foam junk.

Anyway he told me only time will dissipate it and they do manufacture anti sudsing algeacide....so remember this next time.

The joke is I paid $25 for this bottle of foam producing garbage!

So watch and wait....hope this helps.....good luck
scoop

Foam

Postby scoop » Tue 29 May, 2007 18:28

I never had the foam problem. I came here to try to figure it out. I just put a new kind of algeacide in the water but I wasnt sure that was it. Now I am thanks! I wounder how long it will take to stop?
inground-MA

Postby inground-MA » Thu 31 May, 2007 19:14

Just opened my inground pool over the holiday weekend, only added liquid shock and added chlorine tablets to the automatic chlorinator. Within 3-4 days the pool was crystal clear beside a little sand and pine needles on teh bottom. Then one day I came home and noticed white foam and checked the pump/filter, I noticed a very very small drip leaking so I am thinking maybe it is being caused by that air leak. I'm going to fill the minot air leak to stop the drip and then give it a day or so to deterine if that is the cause. The pool is crystal clear and this is only my 3rd season and I have not changed the sand as of yet either.
jayayh

Pool Foam

Postby jayayh » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 23:46

I have the same problem. It's the algaecide I'm almost sure. I've heard that using a chlorine shock (not a non chlorine) will help "burn" off some of the problem. I haven't tried this yet but intend to shortly.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 04 Sep, 2007 01:35

Some algeacides, known as linear quats and containing the ingredient "Alkyl dimethylbenzylammonium chloride", will tend to foam. Instead, one should use PolyQuat 60 algaecide, which has the ingredient "Poly{oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride}". This is a situation of "you get what you pay for" since the linear quats are less expensive than the polyquat. Algaecide eventually breaks down, though it will take over a week (that's why they are added on a weekly basis). Shocking with chlorine will speed up the breakdown process.

Foaming will also tend to occur in pools that don't have enough calcium in them. Since plaster pools require calcium, the issue with not enough calcium is usually only with vinyl pools. Raising the Calcium Hardness (CH) to at least 100-150 ppm usually does the trick.

Richard
pool doctor

Postby pool doctor » Wed 26 Sep, 2007 15:12

foaming is caused by 3 things or a combination of them:
1. low calcium
2. high levels of polymer based chems( biguanides, polyquat algaedcides, some clarifiers)
3.air leak in the system-the most common thing

check the water level in the skimmer and make sure it's not taking air, make sure the return (eyeball) is pointed towards pool floor and away from the skimmer, check hoses & hose clamps, check plumbing fittings, check pump strainer lid for cracks chips, and the strainer o-ring. Remember an air leak is going to be on the suction side not the discharge side
disney_goof

White foam on pool surface

Postby disney_goof » Fri 12 Jun, 2009 00:04

We just solved 2 weeks of foam on our newly opened pool. We eliminated all of the typical culprits - algea, cracked seals, cracked lid on the basket etc. Finally, we noticed a significantly lower pressure on one of the return jets so we checked all of the return lines - one of the valves had broken internally and also tore the seal around the valve. It wasn't leaking but must have been causing enough turbulance within the line to generate a lot of air in the line. Once we replaced the valve - no more foam.
Canucklady

Postby Canucklady » Fri 14 May, 2010 18:16

Just solved my foaming pool problem!! The cause was cheap, old algicide. The only thing, according to my pool supplier (who was not the person who sold us this crap), is to scoop and dump the foam with the net. Scoop & dump, scoop & dump. After two evenings of doing this, water is clear!!
Big Sal

overdose of algaecide 40

Postby Big Sal » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 00:11

chem geek wrote:Some algeacides, known as linear quats and containing the ingredient "Alkyl dimethylbenzylammonium chloride", will tend to foam. Instead, one should use PolyQuat 60 algaecide, which has the ingredient "Poly{oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride}". This is a situation of "you get what you pay for" since the linear quats are less expensive than the polyquat. Algaecide eventually breaks down, though it will take over a week (that's why they are added on a weekly basis). Shocking with chlorine will speed up the breakdown process.

Foaming will also tend to occur in pools that don't have enough calcium in them. Since plaster pools require calcium, the issue with not enough calcium is usually only with vinyl pools. Raising the Calcium Hardness (CH) to at least 100-150 ppm usually does the trick.

Richard

:D :thumbup: I just want to thank you for finally answering my question! I've been going mad all evening on how to breakdown the Algaecide 40. I overdosed my tank/pool. 64,000 gals. Don't need anyone else telling me that I should have read the label... I know, but sometimes sh.. happens! I just don't want any of my animals to suffer from my mistake! Am circulating with chlorine tabs, put in chlorine bleach & adding fresh water. Any other suggestions? Thanks for at least talking about the right stuff!
Big Sal
ray b

Postby ray b » Mon 20 Sep, 2010 15:33

Just got off the phone Pool Brand service Dept. and am still fuming on their response. Found this topic online and it cleared things up for me.
Pool Brand Algaeside 40 which is sold by Sam's Club has my pool looking like a bubble bath. I first read the box the bottle came in and then the read the bottle.
There is not a word about foam, type of pool to put it in, etc. So i used it. Just the initial dosing and weekly update dose.
This Algaeside 40 contains dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride. If you look online at Pool Brands info on Algaeside 40, online Pool brand tells you not to use it in a pool that the water will be agitated. I've never seen a pump that doesn't agitate water in the pumpimg process. Once you put it in the pool its too late.
I asked how to stop it with a chemical anti foam agent and they suggested draining down a significant portion of the water in the pool. It is a 22,000 Gallon pool. I guess they only wanted me to drain of 10,000 Gallons.
Can someone suggest an algiside by manufacturer name that doesn't create foam?
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Mon 20 Sep, 2010 16:52

try searching on "polyquat 60" - there are multiple brands, but I think only one manufacturer is producing it.

and make sure you don't overdose the pool - that is a prime reason for foam on some types of algaecide.
Chemist Man

White foam on pool surface

Postby Chemist Man » Sat 25 Sep, 2010 13:08

Folks, don't be mislead by the thought that white foam is caused by an air leak. That is simply nuts. Yes, if air gets in the circulating system, it will make the problem more visible, and correcting the air leak might make you think that was the problem, but it isn't. The problem is still there. If you have an air leak, you probably should be concerned about a problem bigger than foam.

Think about this for a second. You can turn on the air blower in a spa and not see any foam at all if your pool chemicals are correct. The real problem is likely as mentioned by a couple of other posters. TOO MUCH ALGAECIDE. More correctly is too much of the wrong kind of algaecide.

A couple of years ago I had this problem. I was out of town on business and we ran out of algaecide. My wife went to Leslie's Pool store and got some of theirs. That was the cause. I bug our chemicals at Home Depot because they are cheaper and I can actually see what chemicals are in the products. Many of Leslie's product want even list what is in them! Now I wonder if they do this do they can sell you some "Foam Down" that won't work and puts more garbage chemicals in your pool.

Bottom line: Just because you do something to a pool to make the problem disappear, it doesn't mean you got rid of the problem.

disney_goof wrote:We just solved 2 weeks of foam on our newly opened pool. We eliminated all of the typical culprits - algea, cracked seals, cracked lid on the basket etc. Finally, we noticed a significantly lower pressure on one of the return jets so we checked all of the return lines - one of the valves had broken internally and also tore the seal around the valve. It wasn't leaking but must have been causing enough turbulance within the line to generate a lot of air in the line. Once we replaced the valve - no more foam.
swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby swimfit » Thu 25 Nov, 2010 02:40

Try adding chlorine tablets and see the results. It most probably might clear up the water as the chemical compositions are find as told by you.
galbach

Postby galbach » Fri 01 Apr, 2011 18:37

I too had this problem for weeks and weeks!!! Tried everything!!! then i ordered Bioguard Remedy Antifoam.. 2 oz per 5k gallons and poof 20 min later..Foam gone :thumbup:

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”