Recurring Algae and Pool smells

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
RB

Recurring Algae and Pool smells

Postby RB » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 18:36

We have been fighting an algae battle since May. It comes, we super shock and do algaecide and vacuum to waste. It goes away. Lather, rinse, repeat. We have a professional store that tests the water, and we never get away with less than 100 dollars in chemicals. Today? The pool actually smells like fish to me right now. I just added a drop vac flocculant and maybe that will do the trick, but we have guests this weekend and I am desperate.
(The water is also foamy). Any advice that won't cost me 200 bucks at the pool store?

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 22:22

What are your test readings? Pool volume?

You are not shocking high enough and long enough to kill all the algae. You may also have high CYA readings which means you have to shock even higher.

Also, if your CYA is high you shouldn't be using tablets or pool store shock as they are just adding more CYA.

The foam sounds like algaecide - have you been using it? Algaecide is better used for prevention rather than cure.

So post your readings and volume and we'll try to help.
mommyx4kid

Re: Recurring Algae and Pool smells

Postby mommyx4kid » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 15:47

Did anyone ever resolve this?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Recurring Algae and Pool smells

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 16:47

Seeing as this post is 9 years old I would suspect that it was resolved
If you have a similar problem what Buggsw said applies
You probably need to slam the pool http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl but first get a test kit to make sure your Cyanuric acid isn't to high and you PH is in the 7.2 and 7.5 range

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”