plaster vs. pebbletech/diamond brite

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
cal

Postby cal » Mon 03 Apr, 2006 10:50

We are thinking about getting a pool and have to decide between plaster or the dimaond brite/pebble tech type surface. I've heard the pebble-type surfacing is rather rough and can be a hazard on your feet, knees and even your bathing suit.

Does anyone have a diamond brite or pebble tech pool and if so do you find that it is rough on your skin?

WillieDee

Pebble tech vs. plaster

Postby WillieDee » Sat 20 May, 2006 23:28

I have p/tech pool. surface is not rough on skin - not as smooth as plaster but pebble tech is no problem. It is more costly. Becareful with chems. always check to see if ok to use on pebble tech.
CarolASig

Pebble Tech rough?

Postby CarolASig » Tue 15 Aug, 2006 12:01

We don't mind the rougher surface but my 35 yr old daughter hates it and wears water shoes in the pool. We tease her that she's a wus but I suspect other guests may occasionally agree with but be too polite to say anything.

It's definitely a gritty sort of feel underfoot and without some caution it would definitely snag your suit, but my husband and I don't mind it at all. You learn how to move a little more carefully on Pebble Teck and I think its beauty well outweighs the slightly abrasive texture.
johnwalter

diamond brite

Postby johnwalter » Tue 11 Dec, 2007 11:47

We have had a diamond brite finish for 6 years. While it looked very nice for about 2 years the surface began to flake off. We are now having to refinish and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND this product. We have been very careful with the chemical and have gotten various opinions from pool experts as to what the proper balance should be. We have multiple spot where the finish is completely gone and we have the grit in our filters and piping.
Goldeylocs

Pebble Tec

Postby Goldeylocs » Sun 16 Dec, 2007 13:09

My Pebble Tec pool was installed in 1999 and is as smooth today as it was when it was installed. I have never had a problem with my bathing suit getting snagged nor have my feet been roughed up. Children and elderly family members have all enjoyed the pool and I have never had any commenters or complaints about the surface being too rough.

Many friends and neighbors are installing the Pebble Tec as well as a result of having seend and been in my pool. I don't know if the installation has anything to do with it, but I highly recommend this product to anyone considering building a new pool or remodeling an existing one.
Pool floors

Re: diamond brite

Postby Pool floors » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 16:21

johnwalter wrote:We have had a diamond brite finish for 6 years. While it looked very nice for about 2 years the surface began to flake off. We are now having to refinish and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND this product. We have been very careful with the chemical and have gotten various opinions from pool experts as to what the proper balance should be. We have multiple spot where the finish is completely gone and we have the grit in our filters and piping.

Our local recreation center is spending $2,200,000 to renovate an indoor and outdoor pool. They plan on applying a Diamond Brite surface because it costs less than alternatives. We want them to install something much less rough than Diamond Brite (like vinyl or tile), but they say that costs to much. Can anybody provide any feedback on your experience with Diamond Brite, and what arguments you could provide us to present to the city to persuade them not to use it?
Glen

Re: diamond brite

Postby Guest » Sat 23 Aug, 2008 13:39

johnwalter wrote:We have had a diamond brite finish for 6 years. While it looked very nice for about 2 years the surface began to flake off. We are now having to refinish and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND this product. We have been very careful with the chemical and have gotten various opinions from pool experts as to what the proper balance should be. We have multiple spot where the finish is completely gone and we have the grit in our filters and piping.

this was do to and installation fault not the plaster, although diamond bite does have a bad rap, if it flakes it was due to the installer, and not the plaster itself
sally

Plaster vs. pebbletech/diamond brite

Postby sally » Thu 18 Jun, 2009 19:41

We have had a Pebbletech surface since 2002. Although it is as beautiful today as it was when it was first installed, I hate it. It is very rough. My kids wear aquasox whenever they play in the pool because the surface is so abrasive. My husband wears waterproof sandals. It's just awful. When I go in the hot tub I take a dishtowel with me to sit on so I won't ruin my bathing suit. With P/tech the good news is the same as the bad news. It lasts a very long time. We'd love to re-do our pool, but we can't justify the cost, since the surface we have is in good condition.
feeblefrog

Pebble Tec

Postby feeblefrog » Wed 24 Jun, 2009 16:02

Goldeylocs wrote:My Pebble Tec pool was installed in 1999 and is as smooth today as it was when it was installed. I have never had a problem with my bathing suit getting snagged nor have my feet been roughed up. Children and elderly family members have all enjoyed the pool and I have never had any commenters or complaints about the surface being too rough.

Many friends and neighbors are installing the Pebble Tec as well as a result of having seend and been in my pool. I don't know if the installation has anything to do with it, but I highly recommend this product to anyone considering building a new pool or remodeling an existing one.

Please, if you're in Orlando, Fl area tell me who installed your pool. I know several people with pebble tec and it just rips up the soles of your feet. I need to refinish and would like pebble tec but don't want to waste money if it's just going to be rough I might as well get diamond brite
Poolsurgeons

Postby Poolsurgeons » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 06:11

Hello! everyone the qurtz finishes must be install by a pro's most pool company company try to install and products with a ag finish Florida Gen or SGM finishes PLEASE make sure you ask for three pool that have been installed and finished that you can look at if they can not do that go with white plaster please!!! At Pool Surgeons we know what it takes to do it right it alot of work to install this product!!!

Thanks
Jack Frye
pasadenadeb
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: i am building a pool right now. 15 x 39 with a jacuzzi inside.

Plaster vs. pebbletech/diamond brite

Postby pasadenadeb » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 16:01

we too are deciding between pebble sheen and plaster. I am worried about the rough surface of pebble sheen. I also am worried about the color. I am looking for a French gray look and have picked out HD Tropical Breeze or Midnight Blue but cannot find anyone who actually has these products in their pool to check on the color. My pool contractor said that plaster only lasts 5 years before it needs to be redone. Is this true? I have heard that Pebble sheen also has places for algae to hide.
City Pool

Postby City Pool » Tue 30 Nov, 2010 13:44

I am and have operated two City owned pools here at my community center...they are 144,000 and 37,000 gallons...they both were constructed with Diamond Brite 17 years ago and to this point are just now starting to show signs of wear...both of the above mentioned pools are very high use and have everything from swim lessons to water aerobics and more...I was one of the first to have this product 17 years ago and have had no complaints from either patrons or staff about anything...it has worn well and been easy to maintain and I have given my positive support many times for this product...
aquablue

Postby aquablue » Sat 15 Jan, 2011 22:02

Anyone who tells you, that correctly applied plaster will only last 5 years has not been in the pool industry longer than 5 months, likely never even see Diamondbrite applied and I would not let him into my backyard. I personally would not touch pebble stone application with a 10 foot pole. But there is market for everything. Pool surface should be no nonsense, clean, good color, algae resistive and lasting. I have replaced plain marcite after 25 years with Diamond brite Aqua blue 2 years ago and I just love it. I requires fairly precise start up with acid wash with fully filled pool, but when done correctly and timely will reward you with a nice colorful and lasting surface. BTW, French gray is also beautiful! Good luck!
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sat 15 Jan, 2011 22:19

I don't think anyone has addressed this but there are actually three different products that are sold under the Pebble Tec brand.

Pebble Tec - Not so smooth, $$
Pebble Sheen - Smooth, $$$
Pebble Fina - Very smooth, $$$$

For me, Pebble Tec is much too rough and although Sheen and Fina are much smoother, I went with plaster because they were too expensive at the time. Some installers have show rooms where you can actually walk on each of the products under water to get a feel for your preference.

Pebble Tec Web Site
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Mon 17 Jan, 2011 20:39

There is nothing more rewarding to a pool owner than algae free, sparkling clean pool with a nice water color. Correct informed choice of the surface that works toward that goal is always there. It is however often difficult, when we get overhelmed with so many modern fancy choices available today. It is not that hard though, if you know what helps you to avoid algae start and helps your pool sweep work most effectively. Examine how the different components of plaster surface are held together. Larger pebbles may have only 40-50% surface embedded in the cement. That initial good "hold" is in time slowly compromised by plaster loss and wear. (The pebble particles, that will go through your pump strainer, will do the number on the pump impeller!) The thousands of miniature crevices offer sanctuary to algae anytime you slack out of rigorous maintenance. Algae is a very smart and determined organism, hellbent on survival and will survive under the layer of the freshly killed in the pool as well as in your filter. Diamondbrite surface exposure is about 70-85% quartz that algae finds very hard to adhere to. So if you have real smooth surface as Diamondbrite will give you, getting rid of fresh starting algae is many times easier, faster and mainly cheaper. And than of course there is the factor of prolonged walking on some types of pebbles, that some people especially kids find unpleasant or troublesome. I may be a bit bias, but I always try to work the percentages. Remember: Experience is what you get, when you did not get what you wanted!

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”