Hayward Bulb Burnt Out...What Now?

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
geno404

Postby geno404 » Sun 30 May, 2010 15:03

My Hayward in ground pool light has burned out. I have the housing out of the pool and the bulb separated from the front plate. Can I just replace the bulb (like a light bulb), or do I have to replace the entire assembly?

There seems to be a rubber gasket around what looks like a bulb, but it won't come out easily.

Do I have to replace the entire assembly, or is there a 'screw in' fixture under there into which I can just put a new bulb? In a perfect world, I would like to replace it with one of those multi-color LED bulbs.

The part numbers that I can find on things are:

Face Plate: Hayward SP580A
Back Of The Main Assembly : Hayward SP0583L
Front of the Glass Bulb: HSP-540-Z1
Rubber Gasket: HSP-540-Z2

I'm hopeful this is as simple as screwing in a new bulb, but was afraid to be more aggressive in getting that rubber gasket away from the aluminum housing without trying to get advice from someone smarter than me.

Thanks In Advance

Gene

CAdam28

Postby CAdam28 » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 23:32

The gasket and lens will come out. It's probably pressurized and "gummed" up. You will need to replace gasket, so don't worry about hurting it. Once you get the glass lens and gasket out, You will need to check the watts for that unit. I belive it is a 500 watt bulb. They cost about $20 and the gasket around $5. Tighten it all back up and your in business. If the fixture continues to bubble onec entered back into the water, you have a leak and will need to retighten and possibly use some gasket silicone. Good Luck!
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 02:13

geno404 wrote:My Hayward in ground pool light has burned out. I have the housing out of the pool and the bulb separated from the front plate. Can I just replace the bulb (like a light bulb), or do I have to replace the entire assembly?

There seems to be a rubber gasket around what looks like a bulb, but it won't come out easily.

Do I have to replace the entire assembly, or is there a 'screw in' fixture under there into which I can just put a new bulb? In a perfect world, I would like to replace it with one of those multi-color LED bulbs.

The part numbers that I can find on things are:

Face Plate: Hayward SP580A
Back Of The Main Assembly : Hayward SP0583L
Front of the Glass Bulb: HSP-540-Z1
Rubber Gasket: HSP-540-Z2

I'm hopeful this is as simple as screwing in a new bulb, but was afraid to be more aggressive in getting that rubber gasket away from the aluminum housing without trying to get advice from someone smarter than me.

Thanks In Advance

Gene

Unfortunately, in order to turn your standard pool light into a color LED light, you have to replace the entire assembly as the new light itself has a built in circuit board.

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”