lbridges wrote:Have you been using tabs or granules to get chlorine into the pool? If yes, then the CYA level might be too high - needing a greatly increased shock value to clear the water. Should get the water tests done at a good pool store and report back before spending $$$$$.
And if the that's true, then if the shock you're using has CYA (also known as stabilizer) you need to get some unscented bleach or liquid chlorine (same thing, different strengths) to shock the pool. BTW, some algaecides are mostly effective at preventing algae and not so good at killing it once a pool is loaded up.
The shock that includes conditioner is known as Dichlor. The shock you should be using is calcium hypochlorite which will not effect your CYA or pH levels!